Howling noise from flu, brand new baxi duotech boiler fitted

Any advice please!
I have just had a new Baxi duo tech combi boiler fitted to exisiting heating system.When it fires up there is a howling noise outside from the flu which gets louder until the boiler has met its demand.The noise is only outside from the flu only and gets loud to the point im having to turn the boiler off at night so the neighbours do not complain.Inside the house all seems fine.

I have spoke to the plumber who fitted this and at the moment he hasnt got a clue...i found a thread saying it could be incorrect gas/air ratio but he says it can not be a mixture problem because the boiler works that out itself and rectifies accordingly?? Any suggestions please.

Have noticed this evening whilst checking over and watching what the boiler is doing that it is also clicking off intermittently for a split second quite randomly.
I increased the tempreture to get the boiler working and at this point the howling quietly begins,the minute i stop demand it stops.

Sponsored Links
I refer the OP to my opening remarks.

I am sure the insurance company will take a dim view of operatives being paid cash.

However, a little call to Gas Safe might get things moving along for you.

I refer the OP to my opening remarks.

I am sure the insurance company will take a dim view of operatives being paid cash.

However, a little call to Gas Safe might get things moving along for you.

Thanks for your input,now i've been educated i will forget the DIY fix attempt and get this sorted properly and safely asap.

boiler has a 2 year g`tee minimum 5 years if he is reg with baxi and can be extended to 7 for 88 quid..
How do you know he didnt check inlet pressure this takes minutes where you standing over him constantly?
If he doesnt come back to check it call baxi out they are quite good and wont usually charge if fault is not with appliance

Sponsored Links
boiler has a 2 year g`tee minimum 5 years if he is reg with baxi and can be extended to 7 for 88 quid..
How do you know he didnt check inlet pressure this takes minutes where you standing over him constantly?
If he doesnt come back to check it call baxi out they are quite good and wont usually charge if fault is not with appliance

Thanks i am going to give Baxi a call in the morning and get qoute for engineer to attend and commision the boiler.And yes i was with him constantly as we were refitting the kitchen after the flood repair although he has told me lt when i called him he didnt check inlet pressure as it is not required because this boiler identifies any errors and resolves them itself when turned on.He is not lying about what he has done ,simply believes it is plumb in and switch plug on.Job done....and it was for him!

he didnt check inlet pressure as it is not required because this boiler identifies any errors and resolves them itself when turned on.He is not lying about what he has done ,simply believes it is plumb in and switch plug on.Job done....and it was for him

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fooking hell... he is that daft? and even dafter to think it is correct.

You have to report this muppet to Gas Safe before he does someone some serious harm!

Please - we spend hundred every year to subsidise t0sspots like this and it gives our industry a bad enough name because the wrong kind of engineer is reported for BS complaints.

Thanks i am going to give Baxi a call in the morning and get qoute for engineer to attend and commision the boiler.

I wouldn't do that if I was you. It's illegal to commission someone else's work and all you'll do is alert Baxi to the fact your boiler has not been correctly installed, which will no doubt give you problems in the future should you need to make a claim under warranty

The one thing he is correct about is the boiler does self calibrate .
Providing certain factors are correct.

Calibration Function
IMPORTANT: DO NOT commence the Calibration Function whilst the burner is lit ! The Case Front Panel MUST be fitted.

Note: To obtain an accurate measurement on smaller capacity systems it may be necessary to open one or more hot taps in order to maintain the boiler at full rate.

The function is activated by pressing buttons (symbol left out) and (symbol left out) together for 6 seconds then quickly pressing button (symbol left out) while 'On' is displayed. The Ignition Phase fan speed code will then be displayed. Calibration will take approximately 5 minutes.
If '304' is displayed, then the Calibration Function has not been activated correctly. Isolate and reinstate all power sources to the boiler and repeat the above.
The boiler will automatically calibrate at '100', the Ignition Phase speed then '00'. These represent the percentage of MAXIMUM fan speed (i.e. '00' is MINIMUM fan speed). Once the boiler has stabilised and self-calibrated at each fan speed the symbols will be displayed before the next speed is automatically set.
When self-calibration is complete the boiler will run at MINIMUM fan speed ('00' displayed). The following symbols will also be displayed flashing together at regular intervals.
To exit the function press (symbol left out) will be displayed and the calibration function completed

M12, do you actually know who this guy is? Like a surname ( not just "Mick" )

Do you know his Gas Safe reg number?

Let this be a lesson to all those who feel tempted to get someone to do gas work who does not have a surname opr gas reg number ( they are both on the Identity card he should carry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back