HRM Wall Star - Has packed up mysteriously...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all :)

I've got a pretty fancy (I think) unvented CH/DHW system powered by a 2001 Oil-fired HRM Wallstar 15/19 Boiler.

I've asked some separate questions about it in another thread, but now, much more urgently, the thing has stopped firing up!

Some key facts:

- There is no room thermostat. I call for heat directly using the programmer (pic below).

- I think it gave up mid-cycle last night, during a 90 min run for both hot water & CH (not certain, might have been just after the cycle ended)

- The oil in the tank is 3/4 full, checked for certain.

- The boiler has two indicator lights, a 'normal' orange light and a red 'lock out' (I think) light. The red light does not come on. So boiler does not appear to think lock out is necessary. With the cover off, pressing the reset button does nothing.

- I have electrically reset both the boiler and the programmer, no change.

- When the programmer calls for heat, the CH pump starts up as normal, and the boiler orange light comes on, as normal. But there is no other sound at all from the boiler (no clicking, no firing, just zip).

- Boiler was last serviced in May

- No obvious smoke from the flue

- It may have been a co-incidence, but last night, shortly after I noticed the boiler had stopped, I noticed our water softener was hissing too.

I was tempted to slacken the brass valve on the underside of the boiler to see if it'll release any trapped air, but on second thoughts, if an air pocket was the problem, wouldn't the lock-out light be on?

I Also thought that it could be the 'call' for heat at fault, but then I can see that the boiler DOES receive the call, because the orange light flicks on.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated....!!! I can't get a plumber out here until nearly the end of the month (although I havn't yet claimed this to be an emergency).

Pictures of the boiler, of the programmer and of the unvented cyl below to help :)

Cheers,

Tom

005_zpsmacjetrv.jpg

004_zpspseiggti.jpg

DSC_0007_6_zps3jajtfw0.jpg

Sponsored Links
Further to that - I've just taken off the external boiler cover and noticed that there is a big air bubble in the supple pipe.......should I try to purge it out?

(Note this is a wallstar - tank is below the level of the boiler....I thought that meant this boiler would 'suck' the oil through.....but an air bubble?

See pictures...

20161105_074241_zpsv0ltsvwu.jpg

See supply pipe bubble I this pic,....about 12" long!

20161105_074232_zpsizmzdgt2.jpg

Looks a normal wallstar I like em when running shoul have small bubble at top of pipe so take of oil pipe getitfull of oil then try to start it but you'll need a pump don't use your mouth.Bob

Sponsored Links
Cheers very much,

I just took the burner off, gave the photo cell a wipe, and while I was there I followed the manual and did the service procedure cleaning the combustion head and nozzle etc.

She then fired up straight away and is running fine now.

Hopefully this won't come back!

Thanks very much for the help both of you

Tom

P.S - I don't have a pump, but the air bubble purged by itself through the pump (I guess this cant be good for the pump though!)

Arrgh!

The boiler just ran for about 15 mins then gave up again.

I just whipped out the photosensor and gave it a wipe, put it backand and pressed the button on the Satronic Control box and it fired up again.

This has happened twice now....how can I figure out what is causing it to shut down?

Tom

Yep - certain now - Runs for 10 mins or so, then stops. Pressing the button (unlabelled) on the control box starts it up again for another 10 mins.

I'd be looking at solenoid coil failure. Intermittent lock outs on a Wallstar can be a PITA and a lot of the time caused by oil supply issues.

But given the symptoms you describe my first port of call would be oil pump solenoid.

Take a look at hose when burner is running. Is the air bubble static when burner running (oil will run under it) or are you getting bubbles running through clear flexible oil line?

When its running, there is a single air bubble sitting at te high point in the line no stream of bubbles, I think the feed from the tank is good.

Ok cheers ill try and get one in town today and a new nozzle while im at it.

P.s- could this be caused by a central heating prob inside the house? ....i.e a blocked pipe, or inefective pump for example?

Not if the burner is "locking-out" which you have already stated is happening

+1 for the solenoid. You can confirm this by running to lockout, then immediately remove the solenoid lead and check the resistance with a multimeter. If open circuit, then it is faulty.
A burner lockout is purely in the burner circuitry. System faults do not affect the burner.

Just picked up a new pump (with new solenoid) since they had one in stock at my local. Will fit this afternoon and report back.
Cheers for the test procedure, wil run that just beforehand.

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back