Huge House Modernisation........Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes:

I may well become a regular on here!!I have just purchased a three bedroom victorian terraced house in Wales. It's previous owner was 93 and hadn't done a lot of DIY in recent years. It needs so much work on it, every room needs gutting. As completion isn't until 15th March I have a few weeks to work out a cunning plan. It needs damp proofing, rewiring, new kitchen,bathroom etc etc. Is it best to completely strip out every room first before calling anyone in? Does anyone know of any good books or other websites that my be of use!!

Many Thanks

Jacquie

Sponsored Links
jacquelineQ said:
It needs damp proofing,
Can I ask you why you need damp proofing,what is the problem?

I would go for rewiring & plumbing first as some floorboards will need to be lifted and some chopping out plaster then have your bathroom fitted at the some time then kitchen.Allow for plumbing in the kitchen if sink is going in difference location etc.

Masona,

Thanks for the tips! With regards to the damp proofing!! When the surveyor was carrying out the survey he mentioned that the property was very damp and would need "Damp Proofing" at least thats what i think he called it. he said it would involve drilling small holes 6" apart and would cost around £2000. Does that make any sense now?? :) Thanks again

Jax

jacquelineQ said:
When the surveyor was carrying out the survey he mentioned that the property was very damp and would need "Damp Proofing" at least thats what i think he called it. he said it would involve drilling small holes 6" apart and would cost around £2000. Does that make any sense now??
Sadly, they do NOT works,have a good read at this from previous post.I don't want to see anyone being ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Jacqueline, Masona is correct, this sort of damp proofing is a costly and ineffective waste of money.

One thing many people forget about is proper ventilation, if the air bricks have become blocked and there is no way for the property to "air" itself, then condensation will accumulate and cause internal damp in walls.

This does not mean that you need a new damp course.

Before you go spending money on this, get into the house and check ALL the airbricks have free airflow.

You often find these have been papered over, or had cupboards built over them. You need to check from the outside, then try to locate the airbrick from within..not always as simple as it sounds.

If you have a digital camera, take a picture of each airbrick, a wide angle shot will do it, so you can refer to the picture on the camera when attempting to locate it inside.

It might also help to draw a basic line diagram of the house, one for ground and one for first floor, then you can also mark the locations on this to help.

One good indicator of this problem is if INTERNAL walls appear cold and damp.

Remember also that if there is a basement, or crawlspace beneath the floor, this too needs adequate ventilation or this will cause damp in this part of the house, and this will rot beams and floorboards from below.

If this turns out to be the problem, then go to a plant hire compnay and hire a dehumidifier for a couple of weeks to dry the place out..ideally you want one up and one downstairs.

It is also important to check that unsuitable wall coverings haven't been used. Vinyl paints and wallpaper can allow damp to accumulate in walls that should be allowed to breathe.

A dampcourse might be inappropriate and can cause problems. There are sites on the internet that give a lot of information on how to ensure victorian houses breathe properly. Can't remember any off the top of my head unfortunately.

if the house was mine, the first task would be to ensure the external fabric is sound and watertight.
check for blocked/leaking gutters.
closed fireplaces without appropriate airbricks.
missing roof tiles/slates
broken glass and or leaking windows/doors.

if you do this and are happy then proceed to plan the work on the internals knowing nothing will be damaged or spoilt by water ingress.

With regard to damp, houses that have been occupied by senior individuals can tend to be damp due to lack of room occupancy, and the associated air movement caused by people moving from room to room and floor to floor.This can be especially noticeable during the winter months due to every door/window being closed to conserve heat.

Jacqueline,

Having got the serious work out of the way first, from a personal point of view, I think you will find it much easier to do one room at a time rather than all the plastering together, all the wall papering together, etc.

Completing one room first will provide encouragement (the "I did that feeling" :) ) rather than putting up with a building site for months on end.

Just my view but I do speak from experience :rolleyes:

There are a lot of friendly experts on this site who should be able to cope with any questions that you may have. Are you intending to do the work yourself or get people in?

Hope this helps.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back