Human faster than the speed of sound?

Sponsored Links
not sure how he will break the speed off sound except in the outer atmosphere where he will break it several times over as sound will travel very slowly in the thinner atmosphere so will it be mach 5 perhaps :eek:

What jumping out of a capsule some 24 miles up in the atmosphere,no idea just to prove it can be done I suppose.

It's already been done mate, way back in the sixies by his mentor Joe Kittinger who is also part of the mission control and who still holds the record for the longest freefall),he started off 3Km lower though
Oh and Felix did break Mach 1, seen a interview earlier
here are both jumps, with Felix's first both very brave men indeed

Sponsored Links
As an update to above
reading this article among others it looks like he also broke the longest freefall record too
mmm It looked like 4 min 19 to me on the clock

They were saying in the news this morning that he actually went much faster than they said in the live broadcast - 833mph! He looked like he was in serious trouble when he was spinning so fast, good old mad austrian managed to get it under control though.

Some people must live very strange lives. Can you imagine waking up one day, thinking "I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to spend the next few years planning to jump from a balloon which has floated up to about 25 miles"?

Crikey, when I wake up it takes me 15 minutes to decide whether to have tea or coffee
:confused:

big-all said:
not sure how he will break the speed off sound except in the outer atmosphere where he will break it several times over as sound will travel very slowly in the thinner atmosphere so will it be mach 5 perhaps

Not true. the speed of sound in an idea gas (which air isn't quite) is a function of temperature only. It doesn't vary greatly with altitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Comparison_US_standard_atmosphere_1962.svg&page=1

What does drop off with altitude is air resistance because there's so much less air up there. This is what allows gravity to accelerate a falling body through the sound barrier. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back