Hydropliolite paint direct onto concrete walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently having the blown crepi on our house repaired. The house is concrete construction and has a thin layer of a type of crepi followed by paint (sorry, I don't know what crepi is in English, I am in France).

The builders have scraped off the loose crepi, and opened out any large cracks. The gable end wall was a mess, with a longstanding leak having destroyed the concrete in one area, so they dug out all the crumbly wet concrete, let it dry and filled with new.

They are now proposing to just use a hydro priolite paint directly onto the concrete (old and newly repaired). I had expected them to put a thin film of crepi like before then paint, and they quoted to put a primer, then a layer of fibrous plaster, then the paint. They say they don't need to do this as there are no cracks to cover, just large flat patches where the paint/crepi combination has come off or the new concrete which is flush with the old finish.

I am a bit worried that the water tightness of the house will then rely only on paint that is applied directly to the concrete walls. Although as you see below it wasn't much better before. I did a small patch that I could get to (first picture) and I sealed the wall then used some universal render and I will paint it. I had expected something like this.

I put some pictures below, showing the large patch where it is down to the original concrete (pic 3) and two of the original covering so you can see how thin it was and how little there is to build up (pics 2 and 4). Should I insist that they still do all three stages as it seems a bit pointless given the thickness? I would happily pay them more because they had to do a lot more work on the gable end than they thought.

And to say, it has been like this for 50 years with no problems of water penetration apart from the gable end which has a large crack, so I am not so worried about having as thin a barrier as before.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20230712_180141.jpg
    20230712_180141.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230712_175756.jpg
    20230712_175756.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230712_175739.jpg
    20230712_175739.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230712_175751.jpg
    20230712_175751.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back