I am a republican... but

..... people in London looting Poundshops during the 2011 riots. Few of the above people would have acted that way if they were on their own.
I can think of a few people who might be tempted to raid a pound shop. ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm a republican and I while I'm not mourning her death, I certainly won't be celebrating. I didn't know her so I can't feel sad nor do I think she performed any real duties or services (cutting ribbons and being the ceremonial head of charities doesn't count!)

She was the same age as my Grandmother was which reminds me of her a little bit (she was a huge fan of the Queen), so I get some of the sadness some people might feel due to her being connected to so many generations. I don't get the level of disruption her death has caused however. I don't get people stood crying in the street. I remember an 11 year old doing it in 2002 when the Queen's mother died. Crying.... in the street...

I've learnt a lot over the past few days how intolerant people are of differing opinion and free speech. As others have, being arrested for asking who elected the latest king! I've found it impossible to promote any sort of intelligent response to my arguments against the monarchy as people seem to be blinded by an unrelenting love of all things royal. One person said off-hand that the Queen loved animals, and despite me pointing out the fact that she participated in and supported so many forms of hunting (as well as watching and enjoying the racing of horses), this person still believed that she was "just a lovely old woman" who loved nature. Others have said she's served us, but other than being in her role for so long I cannot think of a single useful function (as head of state!) that she has performed. People just will not accept debate on them and its damned scary.

I fell out with the idea of them in my early teens (as my Grandfather did, when he overheard a minor royal visiting the local town and referring to the locals as "living in sh*t"). I despise everything about them -- their incredible and unjustified wealth, their meddling in government, their total lack of relevance in the modern world and their involvement in and covering up of many 'dodgy things'.

Kings, Queens and fairy godmothers belong in fairytales.
I tend to believe the Royal family keeps the class system alive, or at least maintaining the separation of privilege and the public.

The Queen owns the shoreline and so receives a lot of income from wind turbines.

on the other hand I would like a president any better, at least Charles isn’t Trump

I can think of a few people who might be tempted to raid a pound shop. ;)

It was so cringeworthy watching stupid people risking a criminal record for the sake of a tenner's worth of tat. Mind you, I recall watching the toe-rags that smashed their way in to the B&O shop on Bond Street, Ealing Broadway. Too stoopid to realise that the higher value items such as the TV's need a pin number to operate.

I tend to believe the Royal family keeps the class system alive, or at least maintaining the separation of privilege and the public.

The Queen owns the shoreline and so receives a lot of income from wind turbines.

on the other hand I would like a president any better, at least Charles isn’t Trump

Wow, £879m a year, for up to 10 years for wind farm licences. Apparently, they pass the money to HMRC and get 25% back.

IMO, Trump is a compulsive liar, I don't have reason to believe that King Charles is.

Sponsored Links
Mentioned before, we have had some bloody awful monarchs if you go back a bit.
Some of the other current royals wouldn't be good.
Liz was what, 25? Being female helped, any lad that age would get a hard time. Charlie at 25 was even more of a muppet than he is now.

At least an elected a-hole like Trump shouldn't stick around long. (But, hang on a minute.. he might ...)

Each to their own. I don't really understand the queuing up myself

That's simple... if you turn up after the ones in front of you then you stand behind them.

Those who turn up after you should stand behind you.

This goes on until the ones joining the que on the last day who have traveled from Carlisle get told they are too late.

That's simple... if you turn up after the ones in front of you then you stand behind them.

Those who turn up after you should stand behind you.

This goes on until the ones joining the que on the last day who have traveled from Carlisle get told they are too late.

That is a good point. Someone, an official, has to tell people queuing that they don't have chance of getting in. Equally, the same people can't allow the volume of people passing the coffin to dry up/grind to a halt. They will need to factor that in and need to give X amount of people false hope that the will be able to shuffle past the coffin. If the predicted queueing times are 30 hours, those X people will understandably be annoyed. That said, I do have sympathy for the organisers. They have rigid schedules to stick to.

than of course there is the opposite

Some gather to celebrate some ones demise or death

Plenty gathered to cheer and celebrate when. Margret thatcher died banners pro claiming the witch is dead ( I seem to recall )

People took to the street in the states to cheer and celebrate the killing of bin laden

???

I'm in favour of a monarchy, but don't want to know everything about the characters involved. One or two are undoubtably unsavoury. The gushing over The Princess Of Wales' death was OTT. There are lots of bitter people who identify as republicans and appear envious of royal privilige. I actually pity royalty who are born into a role they didn't choose. If it were me, I would be sorely tempted to do a Harry to escape. The Queen does deserve respect for her faultless service to the country over 70 years and sticking with it, even when her family sometimes let her down.
As ever, good sense from R&C. To say thay I am "in favour" of the British monarchy doesn't quite explain the patriotic British man's position. WE are subjects of The King, and should seek HIS favour. However, if he is not worthy it is a different story. In troubled times bad kings were deposed by better individuals or families. Queen Elizabeth II was worthy. So is Charles, and so is Anne, but I worry about the rest of them.

I fear Charles is too concerned with "green" matters, but I hope being King makes him shape himself. I would like him to start by being regal, imperious and censorious and doing everything the anti-royalists dislike. If he tries to please them, he is finished.

As ever, good sense from R&C. To say thay I am "in favour" of the British monarchy doesn't quite explain the patriotic British man's position. WE are subjects of The King, and should seek HIS favour. However, if he is not worthy it is a different story. In troubled times bad kings were deposed by better individuals or families. Queen Elizabeth II was worthy. So is Charles, and so is Anne, but I worry about the rest of them.

I fear Charles is too concerned with "green" matters, but I hope being King makes him shape himself. I would like him to start by being regal, imperious and censorious and doing everything the anti-royalists dislike. If he tries to please them, he is finished.
I dont think we are subjects any more.

Personally I don't seek favour either.

WE are subjects of The King, ........................................................ So is Charles, and so is Anne, but I worry about the rest of them.

Agree, would always want to be a subject, never a citizen.

I get the impression that William and Kate will be a safe pair of hands, in particular she hasn't put a foot wrong. Chas will be ok, but he's a bit flaky and the World Economic Forum involvement worries me. Camilla is definitely a stabilising force on him. But I wouldn't worry who is doing the job as long as they keep the show on the road for future generations. QEII will be a tough act for anyone to follow.

Charlie's not done badly with the complex goings on so far. A couple of slips, but he is 74.
Does he still talk to plants?

Charlie's not done badly with the complex goings on so far. A couple of slips, but he is 74.
Does he still talk to plants?
I'm sure he does: he was an advocate for organic farming way back in the late 70s - he redesigned Highgrove gardens from a tangled wilderness into a beautiful place to walk round and admire.

Sponsored Links
Back