I don't understand the wiring in my house - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

See picture! I have just put in this socket (which contains a built in timer) by replicating the wiring that was there before. However, some problems:

- The rocker switch works the wrong way; as this has timer functions built in, i can't simply rotate the switch!

- The wiring is not like any diagram I have seen; all the black wires are held together, and the all the ones going into the socket are red. What does this mean?

- The strange thing about this particular switch is that it is the only one controlling the light, yet it is wired like a 2 way. It only controls one light. Agani, not like anything i read about....

So, I guess I firstly want to work out how I getthe rocker to work correctly. But some noddy explanation of what all the wires are likely to be would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Alex

DSC_0365.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not that it probably matters, but it looks like the 2 reds are your supply (put these in com) and the single red is your load (put this in L1) - that should make your switch work the other way up!!

It looks like 'loop at switch' wiring - there are some references in the wiki.
It's not an unusual method for wiring light switches. The live and neutral loop around all the switches, and a single cable is run from the switch to the lamp. All the neutrals are connected together as they do not participate in the switching.

To reverse the switch direction, you could just move the wires from 'L2' to 'L1'.

Or, more correctly, move the two wires from 'L2' to 'COM', and the single wire from 'COM' to 'L1' (it is usual to connect the live feed to 'COM' to ease identification, but it makes no difference to the working of the switch.

Sponsored Links
SUSPECT WIRING HAS NOT BEEN INSTALLED BY A COMPITENT PERSON AS YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE NEUTRALS IN A SWITCH !!!!
TAKE CAUTION AND GOOD LOOK.

SUSPECT WIRING HAS NOT BEEN INSTALLED BY A COMPITENT PERSON AS YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE NEUTRALS IN A SWITCH !!!!
TAKE CAUTION AND GOOD LOOK.

Neal, that is total bl**cks. Its perfectly acceoptable to install switch wiring as shown. And please dont shout, turn off your caps lock. :rolleyes:

And in these days of automated lighting control, it is positively useful to have the neutral in the switch box as many of these systems require it.

Also in these days of non-rose&pendant lighting, with luminaires with only 2 or 3 terminals, it's a lot easier if the lighting circuit loops through the switches.

And it becomes easier to swap a 1G switch for a 2G to add a new light.

And testing is easier as you aren't working overhead.

I'm afraid you're seriously behind the times, Neal... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back