I have a Sime Friendly format 80E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sime Friendly format 80E and am having a wee problem with it.

When the boilder is required to produce hot water for central heating/ hot water taps it clicks on, and starts as normal, but within a few second the pressure rises and the boiler cutsoff i assume a safty mechanism. Anyhow, I bled one of the radiators to perhaps releive some pressure, even though its had already settled back to 1.5bar when it cut itself off.

I seem to be able to make it do this every now and then when I test it, and I really think its something internal, or perhaps a blockage somwhere.

Ive had the hot water and the heating working since the symptoms began this morning, but now I think its a repair job...

Perhaps someone in the know has an idea whats wrong with it, I'll be phoning a gas-safe engineer on monday.

Sime Friendly format 80E
Fault with high pressure building up on ignition and heating process start.
Boilet cuts off before pressure builds too high.
All other signs are normal.

Does the system perhaps need repressurised, or is something else perhaps now gone to fault, it has been 8 years since its last service :oops:

Sponsored Links
I have a Sime Friendly format 80E
Unlucky:D

When the boilder is required to produce hot water for central heating/ hot water taps it clicks on, and starts as normal, but within a few second the pressure rises and the boiler cutsoff i assume a safty mechanism. Anyhow, I bled one of the radiators to perhaps releive some pressure, even though its had already settled back to 1.5bar when it cut itself off.
Possible air lock in boiler / pump / blockage

Ive had the hot water and the heating working since the symptoms began this morning, but now I think its a repair job...
So you have managed to get some heat or HW out of it?

Does the system perhaps need repressurised, or is something else perhaps now gone to fault, it has been 8 years since its last service :oops:

Probably will need the expansion vessel recharging. And will require service too. Make sure to tell whoever you ring that you need a repair and that its due a service. Dont expect it to all be done on a service

Yes, i have had it working, and it will probably work again temporarily the way things are going, like you say there must be a blockage or it needs a presure recharge or whatever the correct term may be, and yes a service/check in one hand and a repair in the other i know i know.

CHEERS

And am i that unlucky with one of those, its served me for over 8 years without fail without any servicing, friendly format i think so.... well maybe not now eh :p, still i shoulda had it serviced.

sime freindly are actually not a bad boiler theres a lot worse out there keep that thing as long as you can id say ;)

Sponsored Links
Probably expansion vessel or blockage on pipe to it. Not a big problem but regular servicing will help. A lot of people skip the servicing but like a car, a service will/should pick up any small problems before they turn into bigger ones. Btw a service means a full strip, clean and check, not a stick a FGA in the flue and if the readings are ok you are fine.

These are / were cheap boilers but quite reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back