I Know:I'll Write A Letter To A Magazine And Show Myself Up!

I suppose what I'm saying to sceptics is that it is perfectly possible to achieve safe isolation, but I didn't say it was quick & easy.

Sponsored Links
securesparks said:
Total and utter rubbish: see above.

Oh is it.

For those switches my lock-off device does not fit, I use MCB lock-off clips. Failing that, I will remove conductors or lock-off the main switch (which it is vital to do with TT supplies anyhow).

If you lock off the main switch in a small installation you probably will achieve your aim. I could make up some scenario about supplies from next door, but let's not.

This is also how I would deal with the possibility of breaking a neutral & making it live: lock off all poles of all circuits within the property: a lock on each main switch feeding that property.

So you will adopt this approach in, say, your local comprehensive school will you - shut down the site so you can carry out some minor works that really only requires one circuit to be isolated - together with a healthy mistrust of 'safe isolation'.

Your post appears to demonstrate a very limited understanding of safe working practices.

Your post appears to demonstrate a very limited understanding of safe working practices.

:LOL:

I suppose what I'm saying to sceptics is that it is perfectly possible to achieve safe isolation, but I didn't say it was quick & easy.

Perhaps to that I should have added the word convenient.

How convenient is a serious injury or death?

Are you a qualified spark? If so, do you work for yourself or a company?

If a company, do you follow their safe isolation procedure?

Sponsored Links
You must be a DIY'er then.

Yes I hang the odd door, lay floor tiles, etc. etc. :D

As for electrical installation work - I was 'qualified' when you were probably still just a twinkle in your daddies eye. :D

Qualifications and training - (started 1965) - Indentured apprentice, C & G: A; B; C; T4; T5; Electricians' Certificate and two Full Technological Certificates (one for course C and the other for T4 & T5) - not to mention other higher qualifications in engineering and computer science - why do you ask - is your one bigger than mine then ;) :D

Qualifications and training - (started 1965) - Indentured apprentice, C & G: A; B; C; T4; T5; Electricians' Certificate and two Full Technological Certificates (one for course C and the other for T4 & T5) - not to mention other higher qualifications in engineering and computer science

But absolutely no respect for your own safety. You think that safe isolation is not achievable, typical of an older electrician:

"I've always done it this way and it hasn't killed me yet, so I must be doing something right..."

...typical of an older electrician:

"I've always done it this way and it hasn't killed me yet, so I must be doing something right..."
I don't think it's an age thing - it's down to training and self-discipline.

Qualifications and training - (started 1965) - Indentured apprentice, C & G: A; B; C; T4; T5; Electricians' Certificate and two Full Technological Certificates (one for course C and the other for T4 & T5) - not to mention other higher qualifications in engineering and computer science

But absolutely no respect for your own safety. You think that safe isolation is not achievable, typical of an older electrician:

What are you talking about :evil:. Show me exactly where in my post that I have advocated any dangerous working practices that would be against the requirements of EWR Regulation 14.

I have not at any point suggested live working. I have merely pointed out that so called 'safe isolation' procedures are an imperfect system.

As I said:
Always assume that conductors are live, and only touch the copper when you have checked it individually just prior to working on it.

Your failure to read and comprehend is worrying, and you arrogant assumptions about your working methods may cost you your life.

You are typical of some that have entered this industry in recent years - arrogant and inexperienced.

...typical of an older electrician:

I don't think it's an age thing - it's down to training and self-discipline.
Well, see above says it all - I had a higher opinion of you - obviously misguided.
You say "see above" - I've looked above and I can't see any reason for you to take umbrage at what I wrote.

You say that you had a higher opinion of me - I've no idea why you any opinion of me at all.

You say that you were misguided - I don't know what you've used as guidance, or why.

You say "obviously" - it's the opposite of 'obvious' to me.

The purpose of my comment regarding age was to disagree with the basis for securespark's jibe. I'm not aware of anything I've written being in conflict with anything you've written.

Well your comment appears to me to support sercuresparks's assertion that I follow some unsafe working practice - in his opinion because of my age, and as I read it, in yours because of a lack of training and self discipline.

Now if I have misunderstood that then I apologise.

In my opinion he has failed to understand my initial comments, and has assumed that because I criticise 'safe isolation' procedures I must therefore undertake the, usually unnecessary and potentially dangerous, practice of working on live equipment.

Now if I have misunderstood that then I apologise.
I don't know what you've understood and what you've misunderstood - I'm not inside your head.

An apology is unnecessary - if you want to form opinions of people you've never met, and fly off the handle at the tiniest of momentary confusions, then there's only one person who stands to look stupid as a result.

In my opinion he has failed to understand my initial comments, and has assumed that because I criticise 'safe isolation' procedures I must therefore undertake the, usually unnecessary and potentially dangerous, practice of working on live equipment.
If you hadn't thrust your qualifications up his nose in such an obnoxious way, it's possible that that he wouldn't have made that comment, so I'll just stand aside while you continue your petty bickering directly with him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back