I need a led strip light equavelent to 5 foot 80w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have had a 5 foot 80 watt flourescent fitting in the kitchen for ages. Its time to chang to led strip so what length of led will give me about the same equivalent light. Warm white .
Thanks
thyristor44
Solved now thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
22W of LED would be around 2250 lm, which would be equal to around 60W.
At 5ft that is about the standard LED output.
It works out to be about 127 lm/W. Two would be well over the top, So at least two is an over exaggeration.

You maybe able to get 25W @3177 lm

Led tubes are no where near as efficient as other led bulbs.

To get the equivalent lux to a 80w fluorescent, you'll need approx 40w of led tubes.

This is based on developing a commercial solution to replace 4 t8 tubes with leds.

Led tubes are no where near as efficient as other led bulbs. ... To get the equivalent lux to a 80w fluorescent, you'll need approx 40w of led tubes.
That's roughly true - but, although the OP talked of a 5ft 80W fluoresecent, he would struggle to find a 5ft 80W tube these days - they are virtually all 58W. Hence, if he simply replaced the tube in his current fitting, he'd probably end up with 58W.

Looking at the TLC website, you can have a 5ft 24W led tube with an output of 3,230 lumens, which is virtually the same as that of a 5ft 58W T8 (3,350 lumen). In general, for a given length of tube, the light output is approximately the same with an LED tube as with a (currently available) fluorescent tube of the same length, the LED consuming a bit under half of the power of the fluorescent tube of the same length.

Kind Regards, John

I had a 65W tube, the thick ones, now only 58W available, so rather than swap the ballast which would mean taking the fitting off the ceiling I went for a 24W LED tube. I bypassed the ballast so simple 230 volt at the pins at power end with a sticker on the fitting showing which way around to fit the tube. However no where near the amount of light the fluorescent kicked out, so then, a bit late, I started to look at details.

24W LED tube gives out 2400 lumen, but only 24 watt if the ballast is removed, you can leave ballast (if magnetic type) in place and replace the starter with a fuse, there is clearly a volt drop across the ballast and some power is required to basic just warm up the ballast, so lamp uses more like 45W if ballast not removed.

So next tried to find lumen per watt of a fluorescent tube, this is not easy as it depends on the coating of the tube and the ballast used. So at best around the 97 lumen per watt, but with magnet ballast could drop to 85 lumen per watt, but the LED tube is expensive so comparing with a HF electronic ballast seems in order as all new works out cheaper than LED even with an electronic HF ballast and life expectancy is about the same.

So to compare outputs a twin tube LED fitting is not quite the output of a single tube fluorescent with HF ballast and will cost around double cost of fluorescent, when it comes time to renew tubes, the fluorescent wins of course. There are some LED tubes with higher outputs, but they also cost a lot more.

However often we don't need the 5200 lumen typical output of a 58W fluorescent tube, all we need is the length so as not to cast shadows, in which case swapping a 58W for a 24W may work, but if you need the 5200 lumen then better to fit a HF fluorescent, yes only 95 lumen per watt not 100 lumen per watt of LED but cost of parts means the straight fluorescent tube is still king.

There is another problem with the LED, if an LED tube is replaced with a fluorescent without swapping starter and refitting ballast some thing must go pop. Be it the fuse that replaces starter, or the heaters in the tube, or the whole tube, something will go pop. With this in mind, after looking further, I think replacing fluorescent with LED is a bad move. I now realise I should have wired all 4 pins in series, the two pins not needing power on the LED tube are shorted out, great if wired in series, but if not then fitting the LED tube wrong way around is a direct short circuit. Really a sticker is just not good enough.

Nothing wrong with LED's as stand alone lamps, but there are clearly issues when used to replace a fluorescent tube.

Hello
I have had a 5 foot 80 watt flourescent fitting in the kitchen for ages.
out of interest does it have a starter, only time ive seen them is on railway platforms or cold rooms, for some reason they strike better in the cold.
I think the capacitors wired in series with the lamp, so I reckon best way to go is a complete led fitting, retro lamps could involve some rewiring of your fitting and not worth the hassle.
My understanding is a lot of leds are designed to be similar to the equiv length of fleurescent, to sell them, id quess people dont always want to put a 4ft where a 5 foot was purely for asphaetics.
we do carparks and twin 58w fleurs are replaced with twin row led fittings which are 5ft long, beleive it or night they are actually brighter and in manchester people have actually, taken them down and stolen some of them in the night

5ft tube is 5200 lumens, 3350 is for the 4ft 36W.
The LED equivalents are substantially inferior, but may appear brighter due to the directional light output.
I got mine from Screwfix, did not even look at the lumen until after fitted when it did not look as bright as the original, it then seemed the lumen for fluorescent is given for magnetic ballast, so with a HF ballast you have to add the % increase in brightness, the same with rated tube life. The result is the fluorescent tube performance is not as simple as simply reading the data, add to that the special tubes with built in reflectors etc, and it becomes even more hit and miss.
However the good quality fluorescent does not produce as many lumen per watt as a good quality LED, but 100 lumen per watt is not much of a gain from 95 lumen per watt, and as you look at poor quality LED units some drop to 40 lumen per watt.

The problem with both fluorescent and LED is the output falls off with time, so swap old for new and the new always seems brighter, specially with fluorescent. With access corridors using the lower output LED tube can save a lot of power, don't need the light output, what is needed is length of the tube so no shadows, and the LED is far better when used with a PIR so only on when corridor is in use. But where a large area is lit then one assumes some one worked out how much light was required, so dropping to units with half the output is not really an option.

I made mistakes with lighting, I replaced a fluorescent tube system with low bay lighting in a factory with a 25 foot high ceiling, it was a huge success, so I repeated with a workshop with a 10 foot ceiling, it was a failure. Point is reading lumen per watt is not the only factor, this is why the 2" spots often fail, light output area is important, a diffuser can increase the useful light even when it reduces the lumen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back