I need a new roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Can anyone please offer some advice. We're looking to buy a 3 bed semi in Southampton, the survey stated that the roof needs replacing. The surveyor said the tiles were the orginal 1930 tiles and at the end of their life.

1) I know this will depend on many things but, does anyone have any idea how much this could be?

2) Has anyone dealt with any roofing firms recently in the Southampton area? Any recommendations?

The one firm rang to get a quote was a bit rubbish saying there was no need to look inside the loft and got there at the wrong time anyway. He wasn't aware of the email we sent, then in the next sentence said he printed it out and said he will look at it later! He also stated that the tiles were asbestos and only 30-40 years old.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nic.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
i would imagine if the tiles need replacing too, and they are to be replaced with plain clays, then expect quotes of around £6000.

i have been googling for a roof tile replacement cost..my roof is concrete flat 'slates' and around 45 years old...

i got a site where you put in your postcode and get a list of builders

http://www.ratedtradesmen.com

personally i will use the local paper as well

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Dont use that roofer, if he was late and did'nt catch ya email, then dont bothere with him. A lot of the time roofers dont go in the attic space, so
dont be to alarmed by this. Have ya got a photo you can send, i can tell ya what tiles they realy are. Other advice is, get at least 6 quotes. There will be loads of difference.
H
nic_forsyth said:
Hi there,

Can anyone

please offer some advice. We're looking to buy a 3 bed semi in Southampton, the survey stated that the roof needs replacing. The surveyor said the tiles were the orginal 1930 tiles and at the end of their life.

1) I know this will depend on many things but, does anyone have any idea how much this could be?

2) Has anyone dealt with any roofing firms recently in the Southampton area? Any recommendations?

The one firm rang to get a quote was a bit rubbish saying there was no need to look inside the loft and got there at the wrong time anyway. He wasn't aware of the email we sent, then in the next sentence said he printed it out and said he will look at it later! He also stated that the tiles were asbestos and only 30-40 years old.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nic.

please note forum rule 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back