I need to get the cars off the road!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Thanks Rich but I have read the new rules and after seeing this

You will NOT need planning permission if a new driveway uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

Which is why I am going down the gravel route. So i just need to know where to get started....

Yes I’m also aware of the drainage requirements to sidestep the PP issues as I am currently in the process of “thinking about” what to do with my own driveway; I posted the link because so many folks are not even aware this legislation was introduced.

As to what to do with the drive; I live in a lane where all the drives have around 1 in 4 slope towards the road & the problem with gravel on a sloping drive is that it regualrly ends up all over the road, as in the case of two of my neighbours; but in your case it will be the opposite! Another neighbour has a thin layer gravelled drive which was stuck on a concrete base with what looked like a clear resin; I wasn’t too convinced it would last but it seems to be doing OK after 2 years. Two more of my neighbours have coloured asphalt drives which were done by the same company & these look surprisingly good; one has been down 10 years now with no real sign of wear or deterioration & he regularly has 7 tonne delivery lorries parked on it (runs a carpet business). But asphalt also needs a decent base & a bit more substance than would normally be laid by passing “pikies” with a load “left over from a road contract” & it isn’t the cheaper option I though it would be, only marginal cheaper that my preferred option of block paving but that can be rather expensive over a large area!

Our kids have flown the coop now but at my last house there were 5 cars altogether & the neighbours were getting severely ****ed so I desperately needed to do something but it had to be cheap. I bought a load of 900 x 600 heavy duty concrete slabs & 2 tonne of sharp sand, dug out the lawn & just laid the slabs on a levelled sand base. It looked a bit unitary but calmed the neighbours down & worked surprisingly well. The slabs didn’t crack & still looked OK when we sold the property 3 years later; that was in 2004 & as far as I know it’s still there!

Sponsored Links
The porous surfacing will only get you around one part of the planning issue. If you use a porous finish then you can provide a hardstanding for anything in your garden.

However, you may need permission to create a new access to the highway as you currently have no vehicular access to the road? This only applies if you're accessing a 'trunk road' or 'classified road' and it looks from your pics as though you may be ok but its worth checking!

If you're going to be crossing a footpath and its a council adopted road you may also need permission for a 'footpath cross-over' and may need permission from any utility providers who have pipes/cables buried in the footpath/verge?

Might be worth a phonecall to your local council!?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back