I REALLY hate flex. Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just went to take some photos I said I would in a post a few days ago and realised I'd need to go and get a desk lamp for the correct lighting to show it all up proper. Well. I have a 50 metre drum extension cable and I HATE it. I HATE all flex. I want it all to die. Is there anyone who sells something like a tiny cassette reel with only 1 plug but able to carry 13 amp so I can just cut all the bloody flex off things like vacuum cleaners and use the cassette reel instead.

Other ideas welcome, excluding psychiatric help.

Sponsored Links
Well I had a water damaged 2 plug one so I thought I'd tear it to bits to see how they work. After trying to leverage it open with a crowbar and not getting very far, I hit it with a club hammer which just left a dent. I realised the plug in bit must be close to the other end of the flex so hack saw through it and pulled it out. It's a very simple device, just like any plug socket.

I then tried to use a crowbar to pry open the drum from it's spindle and it just would not budge. It was stuck solid. Then I remembered I had a Bosch Multimaster ripoff and cut what looked like a column of black plastic designed to push outward, hard, which must be what causes the drum to spin.

So, now, if I can't find the device I want at least I can build one, referring of course to that chart of how hot wire gets when coiled at thicknesses with certain wattages pumping through it and put a spring loaded retractor on it like the henry hoover and DIE FLEX DIE on things which get moved a lot like power tools and vacuum cleaners.

It was the stupidest idea ever. The flex SHOULD COME FROM THE WALL NOT THE DEVICES and have a lock switch to allow you to pull out more flex and a push button to retract it for you. Built in concealed casette reels.

Now when I get a home of my own one day...

OK, I need to goto bed and not stay up so late ;)

Sponsored Links
Book in at linfield mount mate.
Hammer, crowbars :confused: it's a bl00dy screwdriver you need and while you're at it, tighten up one or two of them screws you have loose.

Hammer, crowbars :confused: it's a bl00dy screwdriver you need and while you're at it, tighten up one or two of them screws you have loose.

Since it didn't work anymore smashing it up was fine entertainment. A stay at linfield would more than likely do me some good but screwdriver was not the tool for this job it didn't have any screws holding it together.

The plug "acceptor" on top of the drum was clipped easily in place with slim plastic flanges.

The drun was held on by a cylindrical grey piece of very solid plastic constructed to expand outwards and held in place by large flanges. The only way to take the drum itself apart was with a very strong vice (maybe you could crush the cylinder, I think that's how they pushed it in there to put it together in the first place) or a cutting device, like the Bosch PMF 180 E that took it apart in a matter of seconds :D

Hi there,

I know exactly what you mean.

I have now cutt off all the power leads on my garden gear and fitted the following.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLEX-CABLE-LEAD-CONNECTOR-JOINER-PLUG-10A-FLYMO-2-PIN-/120492394097

and just have 1 long lead for everything and swap around when needed.

Rico

I knew I wasn't alone. We need spring loaded flex retraction though like the henry hoover, when I can get my bits on a broken one I'll take it apart then make one for all devices :D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Since it didn't work anymore smashing it up was fine entertainment. A stay at linfield would more than likely do me some good but screwdriver was not the tool for this job it didn't have any screws holding it together.

:D
I don't think that "PrenticeBoyofDerry" meant that the reel had a couple of screws loose - you might need to use a mirror?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back