I want to make my loft opening wider...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make my loft opening wider. It currently spans 2 ceiling joists and I want to expand it to 3 joists wide. Not wanting my roof to collapse (traditional not truss) how do I go about this?
Do I need to brace the 3rd joist across the top first before cutting it and replacing the cross member?
Advice please...

Sponsored Links
Sorry haven't got a photo.

It is just a standard loft opening about 2' square. I just want to make it bigger that's all.

i diont think "thats all" comes into it. I think the concern is about the roof colapsing because you want to take out what may be too much support, which is why a pic was asked for

Sponsored Links
You're right breezer, I need to see the structure of the roof. Normally very straight forward and I have to remember this is a diy forum.

HomerSimpson,

If you're confident, normally we double up the ceiling joists which is known as a trimmer on the cross section and use joists hangers but I do need to see the layout.

That's fair enough...I'll try and borrow a digital camera and put a photo on.

HomerSimpson, thinking of making my loft Access Opening wider as well- how did you get on?

Jim_Connolly, please do not hijack old posts, (see forum rule 17) this post was made in 2004

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back