I want to replace a bath with a shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im wanting to take out my bath and put a shower cubicle in instead.
The bath already has a shower over it, so i would be leaving that and just putting a cubicle up and the relevant pipework etc.

what im wondering is basically before i start or decide to call in the pros, is whether i will be able to connect the new shower waste pipes into the bath waste pipes or if it will need altering etc - basically i have no idea of what i will find under there and cant find anything on the net anywhere.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
chances are the bath waste will be higher than you would want it for the shower so either you can raise the shower tray which means all the waste pipe not under the tray will need to be boxed in or lower the current waste to below floor level, if wooden floor this is quite easy depending on which way the joists run and how far the waste pipe is to run,

Well if you don't know what's under there how are you expecting us to know? Bath waste pipe sizes are the same as shower wastes, beyond that I can't help with the info you've given

I'd call in the pro's, the main thing is it will need plastering and tiling.

This needs to be done properly where the tiles meet the shower tray at low level otherwise it'll leak !

You will need to consider retiling it completely where the cubicle is otherwise it will look a dogs ear ! easy job for a professional and its probably your best bet.

Sponsored Links
I'd call in the pro's, the main thing is it will need plastering and tiling.
This needs to be done properly where the tiles meet the shower tray at low level otherwise it'll leak !
You will need to consider retiling it completely where the cubicle is otherwise it will look a dogs ear ! easy job for a professional and its probably your best bet.
Sound advice here; it’s not rocket science but needs to be done properly using the correct materials if it’s to last any length of time. If you decide to DIY, make sure your read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts which will help prevent you making potentially expensive mistakes.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i will look at tiling.
luckily it will be wooden floor as its upstairs so ill probably be able to work it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back