I would like a good strong shower. What are my options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to run a power shower on my gravity fed heating system and it was great. But now ive had a combi fitted what are my options? The hot water flow rate is no where near what it used to be. What type of shower do i need to get a nice shower that doesent just dribble on me?

Im re doing all my bathroom so all options are open i suppose.

Sponsored Links
I used to run a power shower on my gravity fed heating system and it was great. But now ive had a combi fitted what are my options?
1. Replace the combi with a gravity fed heating system.
2. Install an electric shower and run it off the mains cold supply.
3. Install an electric shower with built-in pump, and run it off a 25 gallon break tank.

I used to run a power shower on my gravity fed heating system and it was great. But now ive had a combi fitted what are my options?

Unusually Softus has not thought this one out!

The minimum combi boiler power is 24 kW !!!

To get just the same heat output the electric shower would need to be of equal power, i.e. 24 kW !!!

The reality is that the normal most powerful electric shower is just 10.5 kW or less than half the current combi boiler's power.

Tony

Unusually Softus has not thought this one out!
Hm. The reality is that, as per usual, you're too p1ssed to read things properly.

The OP asked for options. I listed the options.

If you have more options, then by all means add to the list.

If you think you know which one(s) will give a "nice shower that doesent just dribble" on the OP, then just say so.

The minimum combi boiler power is 24 kW !!!

To get just the same heat output the electric shower would need to be of equal power, i.e. 24 kW !!!

The reality is that the normal most powerful electric shower is just 10.5 kW or less than half the current combi boiler's power.
Those are unhelpful and argumentative half-truths, so please bugger off back to the gas fitters forum and peddle your arrogant nonsense in there.

Sponsored Links

Softus, how do you think that a 10 kW electric shower can be any improvement on a 24 kW combi boiler ???

Less than half the power!!!

Tony

He's got a point, Softus.

How is an instantaneous electric shower going to improve on a combi when it would struggle to heat less than half the flowrate?

Please would either of you show me where I mentioned 10kW, or 10.5kW, or 24kW?

Also, please would either of you suggest any other option you can think of, and, if you feel like it, highlight whichever one(s) you believe would provide an improvement?

You should get a good flow rate from a shower on a combi, in experience not far off a power shower are you sure your shower head is clear of any limescale,
If you are still using the old mixer from power shower then this may not be suitable for a combi and will possibly req changing for a combi suitable one.

C'mon guys cant we all just get along!

Thanks for the options people. At the moment i dont have a shower at all as im in the process of tearing all the bathroom out for a revamp.

Im not fussed on electric showers as ive never been in one that was any good. Plus there ugly.

Ive also never tried a mixer shower run off the combi. But i do have my eye on these taps. Y recon this will give a decent shower?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150217876540&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

3rd option was the storage cylinder with a pump. Can somebody expand on this please as i know nothing!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Turn the shower you have on, and measure the flow, in litres/minute, at showering temperature, and we can go from there.
And what's the combi make and model??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back