i would like to fit a fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have suddenly become worried about a bedroom that my kids sleep in being next to the kitchen. we have smoke and heat alarms that are mains wired and wireless connected, but i am thinking about putting a 30 min fire door on to. would any one know how much it would cost to get someone to fit it. However i'm going to assume i cant afford it, do you know where i could find some instruction? it will open onto carpet and i know you need seals and hinges and a minimum gap. we are but simple DIYers but we have tools!
Many Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
depends on how far you want to go.
do you want to fit a fire/smoke seal strip to the door to make it a 1hr fire door ;) with a door closure.
3 no 4inch bearing type hinges (fire rated).
what type of door is fitted at the moment,if its a fairly solid door then you can get a product to make your existing door fire retardant.
or as you already have smoke/fire alarm then some will think this is adequate enough.

door will cost anything from £50 -£80
hinges iro £10
d/closure £15
fire strip £5
d/handle and latch about £20

fitting anything from £50-£150.

no dont think you do.
you used to have to use fire stops but that is not the regulation now.

Sponsored Links
As your doing it for peice of mind, rather than legal requirement you will not be concerned with regulations or certifications, imo.

Hence assuming the frame is suitably solid and well fitted I would simply replace the thin/light door with a decent, solid, domestic door of your choice, and ensure a good fit to the frame when installing it.

That would be a reasonably DIY job, although there is some skill if fitting and hanging a door well.

Daniel

also you may have to remove the stops fitted as they may well be for a 33mm door and the fire door will be 44mm.

Most fire doors are 44mm but you are likely to have a 35mm door. This means that you need a new frame=messy. Since this is not a Building Regs requirment then even facing the door in ply will add to its integrity and fire resistance. Consider intumescent paint also. Smoke is the real killer so some batwing seals could be fitted in the gap. Make sure the window opens fully for escape, it is a valid solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back