i20 Cam sensor testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2009 i20 PB G4FA 1.4

Does anyone know what the ohm meter readings across the sensor's three pins should be?

I'd like the values for the crank sensor too!

thanks

Sponsored Links
I’ve no idea what the resistances are, but the three wires relate to battery positive, earth and signal from the ecu.
I have tested them by getting a 5v signal connecting between the signal wire and earth.
When the sensor feels a ferrous object nearby ( flywheel or timing chain) then that signal voltage drops to zero.
You do risk ecu damage by doing it this way and the correct way is to use an oscilloscope.
What’s the car’s problem?
John

Issues with the idle and starting!

Will tick over when cold but about 200rom higher than normal and is quite rough. When warmed up, it will not tick over. Give it a bit of throttle though and there's no bother.

P0016 and P0016P were the initial code faults but when I took the cam sensor out, sprayed contact cleaner on socket and plug, then refitted the sensor, the code then changed to P0343.

A local auto sparky reckons testing a 3 wire sensor with an ohm meter can damage it and another garage was inclined to think the timing chain is stretched.

I'm thinking having the auto sparky test the car to see if their oscilloscope can see issues with synch between the crank and cam sensors which I presume is a timing chain problem. Its a G4FA engine so I curious to know can the timing chain be replaced with the engine in place.

All reasonable symptoms of a stretched timing chain, I'm afraid....live data may show more.
Most 'regular' layout engines can have the chain done with the engine in - but it's a hell of a lot easier with the motor out!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John!

I'm considering hand the car over to a family friend who has owns a garage and has always done good for us. Without sensor testing equipment, I'm working blind and if we're lucky enough that it is a sensor so not needing the chain replaced, the garage seems to be the most economical solution. Albeit if it is the chain, any other issues with engine management can be sorted out together.

Are there any recommend test gizmos for vehicle electrics/electronics, <= £300?
I only have a code reader from Aldi at my disposal.

The Foxwell NT680 is a popular choice with an excellent reputation.
I'll not be buying any more scanners now, but in the past I have had many a conversation with Gendan Automotive who supplies them.
They'll recommend which tool is the best for you.
John :)

Back