IBM T41 Power Jact Faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i have a problem with my T41. the power jack is loose and keeps loosing contact with the mains connector.
how easy is it to replace this. is this a diy job or do i need an expect to do this?
i have taken a pc apart before but not a laptop. can anyone give me any guidance as to how to replace/fix the power jack on an IBM thinkpad T41?

the laptop itself is in good working order but how much will it cost to fix this?
any ideas are welcome. many thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say power jack, do you mean the jack plug on the end of the mains supply cable? If the mains supply cable is broken you can easily buy a replacement, and there are even universal laptop power supply options available from most computer stores and probably from Argos too.

The fact that you mention opening the laptop up, suggests to me that you may in fact mean that the socket on the laptop, for the power supply to plug into is loose? If that is the case, it may need to be soldered back into place, or screwed back into place.

The socket isn't soldered, it's simply plugged into the board. Replacement is fairly easy, but I'm not entirely sure how much disassembly is required.

Thankfully, IBM provide service manuals. This is the manual for your laptop: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/39t6192_01.pdf
It doesn't give instructions for the socket, but it will show you how to correctly remove parts until you have access.

Look around on ebay for a replacement socket (they shouldn't be hard to find, but you may have to get the full parts kit they come in, the part number for that is in the above manual).

Sponsored Links
thanks guys. i meant the socket at the back of the laptop. thanks for your replies and i will try the manual and report back.

Back