Icon 23t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone out there have experience with Icon 23t combi boilers. Manufacturerd by Glow-worm, sold through Travis Perkins only. The Glow-worm web site does not contain any references to this boiler! In both C/H and DHW mode the boiler sparks and fires for 5 seconds then goes off then instantly re-fires. It's had a new PCB and gas valve. The Air pressure switch tests out ok, as does the flame detection electrode.

Sponsored Links
They are not really made by Glow-Worm, its made somewhere in Europe like Poland.

I have had experience of them ( like most boilers ).

I would be looking at the fan/venturi although this type of fault should only be investigated by a CORGI for safety reasons.

Who was the parts changer who changed the PCB and Gas valve? Presumably they were both OK ???

Tony Glazier

The parts were changed by a CORGI installer. Can't contact him at moment - must be on hols. I'll keep calling him. Thanks for quick reply.

I would not be happy with anyone who had just changed parts which were quite OK.

I hope you are not paying him for his incompetence!

Tell him what he should be checking! Also to do a continuity check between the electrodes and the ignition PCB.

By the way which PCB did he change? If any were at fault it would be the ignition one ! If that was not the one he changed it could still be at fault but that is only after the other parts have been checked!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I've had problems with this boiler for years.
The PCB was damaged. I could see clearly that a couple of the components were burnt out. Since the new PCB has been installed the boiler is firing, albeit for 5 seconds at a time. The Gas valve was replaced several months earlier on a previous breakdown and did work following that repair. I guess that these boilers are not particularly reliable. Maybe I'll bite the bullet & replace it with a leading brand.

I still dont know which PCB ???

There is the control PCB inside the cream pull down flap and the ignition PCB which sits like a jockey astride the gas valve. I would suspect the ignition PCB if the venturi checks out ok. This could be checked electronically by a competent boiler engineer during boiler operation.

In spite of these boilers being of the budget variety, they are actually quite reliable when installed on a clean system.

My serious criticsm of the design is that most of the water components cannot be individually removed. The worst offender is the diverter valve which does not permit the top section being removed on its own to replace internal parts without seriously straining it.

Tony

The boiler is Italian made by Herrmann bought by glow-worm . And is really a cheap boiler for the rental market it could be the cvi unit as mentioned ,or the the flame sensing lead not rectifying properly. I have had several of these in the past a continuity test would not show a fault [the diode breaks down] any thing more than a hundred quid bin it. The flow rate on that boiler is rubbish probably takes forever and a day to fill a bath. Just remembered the ignition rate needs to be set on the gas valve i think its about 2/3mb.

I dont really agree that they are that bad. I have repaired several and they have generably had a reliable first five years and my most common repair is the diverter valve which is really almost a service item. The flow rate is just the same as any other 24 kW combi.

The need to check the continuity on the flame sensor lead is because a high resistance will prevent it from giving a flame detection signal.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back