Icon airflow - size and noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am looking for an extractor fan for a utility room - fitting into an outside wall.

The room is small - 3m x 1m x 2m (with a slope at one end as it's under some extermal stairs). It's being treated for damp as it's partly below ground level but not sure how effective this will be.

The room will have a washing machine, tumbledryer (vented probably and only rarely in use) and a sink - no washing hanging in it - it will be tight git as it is!

Have been looking at icon airflow. Looks nice, modules allow lots of different modes of adjustment easily.

Not sure about:
(i) size - will a 15 (ie their lowest model) do?
(ii) noise - would be great if anyone has any experience with this - doesn't need to be silent but all extractor fans in my life until now have been noisy beasts
(iii) 240v - am assuming since this is zone 2 and the Icon airflows are IP4 rated, then I don't need to go to expense of getting a 12V model.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Sponsored Links
(i) Go to their site, it gives you extraction rates for each model so you can calculate the room refresh rate for your size of room.
(ii) Noisy on start up then quieten down, but not a quiet fan.
(iii) No comment on your zoning requirements.

I have 4 Icon 15’s (21 litres/sec) with timer modules & IMO they are great; oldest is now 3 years & no problems apart from an occasional dust needed with a paint brush & a little silicone spray on the shutters. The make a little more noise when the first start but this diminishes once the shutter is fully open & I think they are very quiet compared to some but resonance does make a difference depending if it’s mounted in a solid wall or plaster board. Mine are in cloakroom, bathroom, en-suite & small utility (WM & non vented TD); the large bathroom would probably have benefited from a 30 model (32 litres/sec) but it copes OK. Extraction rates exceed BR min requirements & thay are OK for zone 2 with an IPx4 rating.

Thanks very much to both of you here. Clear and useful answers - I appreciate it.

Bathjobby - what are quieter models in your experience?

Sponsored Links
I have an icon fan works a treat not too noisy ,no more or less than any other i have heard

Also looks good when opening a shutting (not a selling point but it amuses me )

Just to follow up:

I fitted an Icon15 in the end and it's fine. There's a bit of a delay before the shutter starts opening (30 seconds or so) - but that's normal according to instructions. It isn't particularly noisy at all.

Thanks again for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back