Icon t combi boiler fault and replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Icon t boiler has failed again - firing up for 4-5secs and then down and then fires up again. Meaning no hot water or low heating output. Boiler has been practically rebuild over the last five years, numerous new ignition units, pcbs and a couple of direction valves and switches to boot. Have a homecare agreement with british gas but its the time needed off work thats the problem.

Looking for recommendations on a replacement that is not a damp squid like the icon t. Needs to be a compact version, could anyone recommend a good model for me to source and get fitted by a qualified engineer? Also, is it worthwhile going for a condensing model? And what sort of price for fitting could we be looking at?

Only asking as british gas have quoted 4k for their services......

Sponsored Links
to be honest just about anything is a better boiler than your icon t,
i fit alpha boilers and think that they are the best on the market, i think this because at my old company we fitted halsteads which i didnt like, because we contracted to the local council and thats the boilers that they wanted, but at this new firm im working for, we fit alphas as standard unless the customer specifically requests a certain boiler, but every single gas fitter in the country has his/her own opionion on what is the best boiler, so stick with the big names, like alpha, baxi, worcester bosch, gloworm also you can now only fit condensing boilers (apart from very few scenarios) now.

the price to get this done will range, dependng on the boiler thats chosen, and also the flueing arrangements, whether it be horrizontal, or vertical, so on and so forth, but roughly a straight swap combi for combi shouldnt cost more than 2k - 2.5k depending on who you call

Jim

Needs to be a compact version
Remeha Avanta

Also, is it worthwhile going for a condensing model?
There is virtually no choice now. You have to install a condensing boiler, unless you meet very stringent conditions.

what sort of price for fitting could we be looking at?
You will not save any money buying the boiler and asking someone to fit it. In addition, any warranty problems on the boiler will be between you and the supplier of the boiler, not the installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back