ICOS HE12 bangs, gurgles and burner light won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, today my ICOS HE12 decided to stop working now it's out of warranty and Barratts cover.

When the timer kicks in for CH, the boiler, sometimes, makes a go of starting up and sometimes does nothing and sits there until it's switched off. Reset button doesnt do a thing no matter how long you hold it or hard you press it in.

When it does try and work, it fires up for about 30 seconds before winding down again. During the 30 seconds, the display changes from a '0' to a 'c' and the white burner LED begins to flash. I can hear the "whump" of the pilot light igniting and the burner LED goes solid, then a couple of seconds later I can hear it all cut out and the LED begins to flash again. The display stays on 'c' after it stops and it will sit there until you turn it off or the timer hits the next on cycle.

During the startup I can hear a gurgling and banging coming from inside the boiler.

I've had a look at the condensate outlet pipe and it had a tiny amount of gunk in it but only a tiny dribble of water.

Last year I had to get an engineer out this time though because the CH/HW wouldnt turn off! He replaced a demountable actuator where the water tank is located, could it be something to do with this again?

Any suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
Is the pump working?

Is this on an open vent system?

If so then is there water in the F&E tank?

Even so there could be a blocked feed pipe?

When was it last serviced?

Tony

Is the pump working?

Is this on an open vent system?

If so then is there water in the F&E tank?

Even so there could be a blocked feed pipe?

When was it last serviced?

Tony

Yes the pump works, can hear it/feel it moving

Can you explain open vent system?

I assume by F&E tank you mean the small tank in my loft, yes that has water, appears clean and no sludge

Could be a blocked feed pipe I suppose, does that come from the F&E tank?

Only just out of warranty, not been serviced, doh

Drain a few litres of water out of a rad or drain cock.

See if the water level in the F&E tank goes down.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Check the consesate trap is not blocked. Has it been regulary serviced?
If not this trap can block, allowing the hx to fill wilth condensate. Boiler will not fire and you will hear a gurggling? noise as the fan trys to push the water up the flue.

Check the consesate trap is not blocked. Has it been regulary serviced?
If not this trap can block, allowing the hx to fill wilth condensate. Boiler will not fire and you will hear a gurggling? noise as the fan trys to push the water up the flue.

I have checked this already, tiny particles of gunk only and not blocked, cleaned it out anyway and replaced with no change

Have you checked the hole from the base of the hx to the trap? Have seen this completly before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back