Icos He24 boiler flame out on maximum setting at 76C not hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi if anyone can confirm please I have an Icos HE24 boiler which finally works reasonably well , its in the loft which is a nuisance to get to. the last few weeks the temperature of the radiators has reduced and its getting colder in the house. ive set it on maximum and used an electronic thermometer on the flow pipe directly on top of the unit and I can only get a maximum temperature on initial fire up of 76C which according to the manual should be 82C approx., then after 20 minute the flame goes out but the central heating is still running, after 5 or 6 minutes it relights and im only getting a maximum of between 72C & 74C, it runs for another 10 minutes then flame out and so it continues, the led flashes when it flames out and stays constant when its re ignited, is this an indication that the control thermistor is faulty? or should I be looking at something else ?
Since having this boiler 6 years ago it was always noisy and i've gone through 3 control panels and 1 PCB unit and many hours in the loft, now its quiet its not efficient LOL :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You need to get out more.

If the boiler is sending water out at 76 when on Maximum then it is fine. Your thermometer is unlikely to be accurate.

If you are not warm enough then you have issues outside of the boiler.

****box though it is.

More interesting would be to know what the return temperature is.

after 20 minute the flame goes out but the central heating is still running, after 5 or 6 minutes it relights and im only getting a maximum of between 72C & 74C, it runs for another 10 minutes then flame out and so it continues,
When the flame goes out, does an L or H appear in the display, alternating with another letter/number? If so, what appears?

What size house do you have and how many radiators?

Sponsored Links
Flashing lights don't indicate a problem, just means there's a demand but boiler thermostat currently up to temp. Solid light just shows burner is actually lit.
What are the temps of the rads when hot?
76 degrees sounds ok to be getting from boiler tbh, are the rads all balanced correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back