oil burner cuts flame goes out after 20mins tries to relight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Any ideas please?
The boiler runs fine for 20 minutes approx then flame cuts out the oil pump continues to run The flame relights for a couple of seconds and cuts out again. This then carries on indefinitely, pump running all the time flame relighting and going out every few seconds.
It does this in or out of boiler chamber.
I do not have to press reset to get as the pump does not stop running.
I have emptied/cleaned the filter/water trap.
I have bled the pump.
There is about 6" of fuel in tank.
It is an old system been working for years.
I have measured resistance of flame sensor with light on and off and it seems to work ok going from high to low resistance when light shined on it. Also checked nothing blocking detector from seeing flame.
It is a Grant euroflame 50/90
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me.

How high/low is the tank above/below the burner?

Thanks tipper
not much head, the fuel level at the moment is maybe a couple of inches above the pump.
Difficult to tell exactly due to positioning.
It has been run dry previoulsy and restarted ok, not sure if it needed bleeding that time though.
it actually has 6 inch in the sight tube not tank.
ta

Have cleaned pump filter and checked good flow from tank.
Am going to replace coil I think
Cheers

Sponsored Links
6" in sight tube may mean empty tank, but running 20 mins or so suggests coil breaking down. If a G5 burner with three wire coil, then holding coil may be failing.

ok so coil didn't do nor photo cell. put switch across cell and it runs fine if I mimic what photo cell should do! any ideas?
thanks

Thanks 4x4
Can you explain how it can run fine with photo cell shorted if pressure wrong or nozzle problem? Flame looks ok but sure it wont harm to replace anyway
Thanks

Give it a service and make sure you get the right nozzle, not a replacment of the one fitted.

A proper service can sort most problems.

As its run out of fuel, it can take a tiny spec of dirt to affect the nozzle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back