Oil boiler flame intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Firebird Oylympic Boilerhouse boiler with a Riello burner and a balanced flue.

It starts OK, but sometimes the flame is intermittent - keeps cutting out and relighting a few seconds later. Sometimes it runs for several minutes before cutting out for a few seconds, sometimes it's on and off every few seconds. I thought that the wind made it worse, but that seems not to be the case.

I've checked that the photocell is clean and firmly plugged in.

The odd thing is that if I remove the access cover, it runs without cutting out.

Any suggestions? Getting a pro here is a bit difficult.

Steve

Sponsored Links
The air intake could be sucking in fumes from the exhaust. When you take the cover of it can breath from the room, hence it runs trouble free.
Trace the leak of fumes and seal it up. If its in the flue and new seals can't be obtained seal it up with high temperature silicone.

Thanks - I did wonder if it might be something like that.

The intake and flue are separate pipes; the flue has a 'cone' on the end of it, and I see in the installation instructions that the top of the intake, just below it, (which is cut off at 45 degrees) is supposed to touch the back of the cone. It's actually about an inch or two away - how critical is that, and could it be related to the problem?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Just get it serviced by an OFTEC technician!

I did - a few months ago, and it's likely to be a few months before I can get another one here. Like I said, it's difficult. A remote island is a great place to live, but occasionally has its disadvantages.

Steve

i would use the words competent rather than oftec technician.oftec has gone the same way as gas work competence turn up write your name tick a few boxes and presto you can now call yourself a technician,a piece of paper does not make you competent or a technician.

i would use the words competent rather than oftec technician.oftec has gone the same way as gas work competence turn up write your name tick a few boxes and presto you can now call yourself a technician,a piece of paper does not make you competent or a technician.

Without wishing to get into the competent/non-competent argument again at least an OFTEC guy will have been on the course and ticked the boxes rather than a guy without any training or paperwork whatsoever and probably with no test instruments either. OFTEC is at least trying to set a standard which I think is worthwhile.

Klaatu, sorry didn't know where you were, you've not told us.

Klaatu, sorry didn't know where you were, you've not told us.

I'm on one of Orkney's outer isles. I did say it was difficult to get a pro here, I wasn't making it up.

Anyway, it looked to me like the cone on the end of the flue wasn't sealed very well, so I've sealed it with mastic and that has definitely made an improvement (thanks, outinthestix) but still not perfect, so I guess I need to find another leak somewhere.

Steve

Without wishing to get into the competent/non-competent argument again at least an OFTEC guy will have been on the course and ticked the boxes

Maybe he can tick the boxes, but that's not much help. There are plenty who can tick boxes, but they find fixing boilers a bit difficult.

rather than a guy without any training

That may be a reason, but some people with no training are quite clever.

or paperwork

Oh dear, "never mind the job, as long as the paperwork's in order".

and probably with no test instruments either.

There are plenty of "qualified" ones, with or without instruments. It doesn't matter as they can't use them.

Klaatu, you may have a high flue temperature, this will destroy the silicone seals.

There seem to be a few OFTECs on Orkney itself.

But we dont know exactly where you are located.

Tony

The odd thing is that if I remove the access cover, it runs without cutting out.

The above quote says it all. If exhaust air is being pulled back into the intake then the combustion air will be very low on oxygen. Keep looking for leaks from the outlet into the inlet of the balanced flue. Is there a snorkel air pipe to the Riello burner? If so, if you disconnect that from the burner, so that it is running on nice clean air from inside the room, does it run nicely?

There seem to be a few OFTECs on Orkney itself.

But we dont know exactly where you are located.

Tony

We're not on Orkney 'mainland'. He has to fly over or take the boat. And stay all day. And at this time of year, run the risk that he won't be able to get home because of the weather. So we either have to wait until there are enough people needing him, or stump up the entire cost ourselves. Last time, it was about two months until he could come over, we shared the cost with two other people, and it still cost us £250 for a service.

Steve

Sounds fun! What secret island is it and whats the population?

But I suppose your Council tax is a bit lower than in London to make up for the other difficulties.

I dont see why it should have been so expensive, £300 for him for a day and if he cannot get back then someone would put him up.

Or perhaps the spirit of helping each other has gone now that there are so many English living there.

Tony

The above quote says it all. If exhaust air is being pulled back into the intake then the combustion air will be very low on oxygen. Keep looking for leaks from the outlet into the inlet of the balanced flue. Is there a snorkel air pipe to the Riello burner? If so, if you disconnect that from the burner, so that it is running on nice clean air from inside the room, does it run nicely?

No, no snorkel, it just draws air in from channels inside the boiler connected to the inlet. But yes, as I say, if I take the cover off so it gets air from inside the garage, it runs OK.

Today it's as bad as ever, cycling every few seconds. If I slide a large piece of card between the outlet and the inlet, it runs fine. It's as if the exhaust is simply being drawn straight back into the inlet instead of dispersing.

Steve

Thats exactly what we have been telling you!

The flue gas being drawn into the inlet.

Replace the card with a metal sheet and you might get away until the oFTEC visits again. Not correct but in some cases you have to improvise.

But something has obviously changed on the flue. I would have thought that would have been obvious!

Can you take a photo and post it on here?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back