Icynene or Celotex Conundrum!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

My in-laws have just been visited by an Icynene surveyor who has persuaded them to sign up to get their loft insulated ay a 'special price' that was only available today!!
Now they think they have been a bit hasty.
Would it be feasable to use Celotex between the rafters in the loft to replace the damaged felt?
Pros and cons would be really appreciated.
Oh, they've been quoted £3,000 for their small 3-bed semi.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Above all the issues, insulation at rafter level is a big mistake

Did he call by appointment?
Has he given them their "your right to cancel" document?

Check this
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation
BG have now closed their free scheme.
edit!
Good God!
It's a spray Foam insulation!
Run!
//www.diynot.com/diy/search/7910132/?q=spray+foam+insulation&o=date

Hi John.
He made an appointment but turned up 24hrs early, chatching my in-laws totally off guard.
They are both in their late 80's and I'm thinking maybe they're easy prey!
I'm assuming you don't approve of Icynene insulation :eek:.
Thanks for your help,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it a big mistake?
Is it a condensation thing?

Thanks fella,

Slime.

Because it would be insulating over an unheated space, so the heat goes through the ceiling and heats up the cold loft space, where it then goes out the roof. So a waste of time.

Loft insulation can save somewhere around £100 - £150 a year in heat.

So at £3,000 it will recoup its cost within 30 years. Maybe as quick as 20 years.

Mineral wool might cost three hundred or so.

Unfortunately sprayed foam holds water against the roof timbers, causing them to rot, and roofers generally refuse to try and repair the damage as it is so difficult with foam stuck to them. A new roof might cost £3,000 or £5,000 or more depending on size and style.

Another reason not to is that I feel it makes any house with sprayed foam applied to the roof less sellable (or reduced price) as when buyer sees it they do not know if it is hiding damage, and if it is hiding damage then getting it off back of tiles and roof timers is near impossible so making roof repairs much higher. If their is no water coming in, ignore the damaged felt. It will only let in cold drafts that worst case is improving air circulation in loft.

Sorry to say that in this case I only see Cons and no Pros whatsoever.
So please do not do use sprayed foam.
I you want to insulate loft put a few rolls of loft insulation ontop of what you already have. Cheap, effective and loft insulation where it should be - above ceilings of rooms. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-170mm-Standard-Top-Up-Loft-Roll-Insulation-6-47m2/p/109450
SFK

Last edited:
there are plenty of firms who will insular the loft at a subsidised rate. e.g. http://www.billsaveuk.com

it won't cost a lot

send the firm a cancellation notice. I can post a proper example if needed

it was no accident they came early.

It's time to talk to your in-laws about power of attorney.
You need to do this while they are still sensible enough to agree to it themselves.
If you wait until they are already incapable of making any rational decisions, the power of attorney has to be approved by the Court of Protection. That is more complicated then doing it now.

Dear Sirs,

In accordance with section 29 of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, I am notifying you of my intention to cancel the contract for the supply of XXXX agreed on date yyy for amount zzz. Please therefore consider the contract cancelled.

best regards

They need to hurry up. time limit is ticking

The advice about PoA is good.

Also not meaning to be rude, but if they are in their 80s - you have question their ability to get any return on the investment given the costs. Unless they have very little in the loft already.

Thanks for all the advice from all of you, it really has been most helpful.
I'll be cancelling the deal for them on Tuesday and look into upscaling their current insulation.
People who pressure old folk into spending their money makes me lose faith in human nature.
People like you on forums like this restores it!

Many, many thanks,

Slime.

Hmmm....next Tuesday! That seems a bit late. If I was them I would be into your parents house at 8am on Monday to start the work and initiate the contract.
Get your letter off to them asap {ie sat morning} by recorded delivery, email and/or fax so they cannot slip out of it by saying that they did not receive notification.

Also, tell your parents to not let them into the house to start working if they turn up at some point in future.
Sfk

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back