Ideal boiler locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help with this :- Had a loft conversion and combi boiler fitted - Ideal excel He C32. Worked fine for a few months , then started locking out at random times and with no regular pattern. Fault code lights show overheat. Ideal came out 7 times and never diagnosed what it was - replaced all sorts of parts within it. Still did it , but never when the engineer was here so i had to video it when it did !!! After threatening legal action they replaced boiler .........after a month it started again , still no warning - Happened last night overnight when heating NOT on and obviosuly no hot water was heated , tried to shower this morning and only cold water , came down to see it had locked out AGAIN , with winter approaching i need this sorted. Ideal promise to send someone out again and never shows - they are the WORST company i have ever dealt with ! Original installer says check if they powerflushed when they installed the NEW boiler , checklist signed off that they DID but company have said when challenged they dont powerflush as it takes too long. Ideal promised to send someone and no show again .................Original installation must be faulty right ????? Powerflush for new boiler is irrelevant surely as it started after he installed the original new boiler and he says he powerflushed it ( i seem to remember him doing it )
How can i fix this and who is legally responsible . I have speant over a year dealing with this and i need it sorted as its driving me bonkers !!!

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can anyone please help with this :- Had a loft conversion and combi boiler fitted - Ideal excel He C32. Worked fine for a few months , then started locking out at random times and with no regular pattern. Fault code lights show overheat. Ideal came out 7 times and never diagnosed what it was - replaced all sorts of parts within it. Still did it , but never when the engineer was here so i had to video it when it did !!! After threatening legal action they replaced boiler .........after a month it started again , still no warning - Happened last night overnight when heating NOT on and obviosuly no hot water was heated , tried to shower this morning and only cold water , came down to see it had locked out AGAIN , with winter approaching i need this sorted. Ideal promise to send someone out again and never shows - they are the WORST company i have ever dealt with ! Original installer says check if they powerflushed when they installed the NEW boiler , checklist signed off that they DID but company have said when challenged they dont powerflush as it takes too long. Ideal promised to send someone and no show again .................Original installation must be faulty right ????? Powerflush for new boiler is irrelevant surely as it started after he installed the original new boiler and he says he powerflushed it ( i seem to remember him doing it )
How can i fix this and who is legally responsible . I have speant over a year dealing with this and i need it sorted as its driving me bonkers !!!

Any help appreciated

your mistake was buying an "Ideal" boiler. (the irony of it! :LOL: )

We advice our customers to contact us first,
If the fault requires a warranty repair we will contact the manufacturer. We also make sure we are present when a service engineer attends.
('coz they sure do come out with some classic "it the installers fault" excuses)

installer says check if they powerflushed when they installed the NEW boiler

Why did installer ask such a stupid question, if they installed they would know if it was power flushed. ?

Time to pull out your trump card. Get in touch with Corgi, trading standards and every other regulating authority.

ps did you receive a works notification certificate off Corgi

We advice our customers to contact us first,
If the fault requires a warranty repair we will contact the manufacturer. We also make sure we are present when a service engineer attends.
('coz they sure do come out with some classic "it the installers fault" excuses)

If only all installers had as much common sense as you.

Sponsored Links
not seen this boiler before, but just had a look online and it appears to have a standard band B combustion chamber arrangement, and a Wilo hydroblock, so unless the system is badly contaminated(which should have been picked up by now) my guess would be Ideal have an inherent fault with their PCB.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - Havent had a Corgi notification as far as im aware , I have contacted Corgi already and the fact that the installer has signed off as doing the powerflush and then saying they havent doesnt seem to bother Corgi !
I have contacted the builder and said enough is enough - You sort this as im sick of speanding over a year trying to sort this . Ive asked for his address to send a letter notifying of legal proceedings and he has replkied with a full address surprisingly ! ( ive conformed its his real address !)
Time to start sending summonses to everyone to get them off their butts and siorting my problems ! Thanks for everyones help

Mark

The excell has a diagnostic fault ID which by flashing several time & in your case tells you the fault. This boiler had a few faults when released but Ideal know of these and are easy fixes.
The excell was a poor boiler though and as far as I know has been removed from production and only old stock being sold off.

DOes the system have adequate air removal immediately before the boiler? LIke an auto air vent, say

The Excell was produced by Ideal as a cheap boiler for the new build market. After about 2 years Ideal admitted it was rubbish and wthdrew it from the market :rolleyes:

Doesn't help you I know, but may shed light as to why few engineers have seen one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back