Ideal Classic boiler cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help with this one would be greatly appreciated. Sorry its long winded but I wanted to supply as much info as possible.

I have an Ideal Classic NF70 gas fired boiler. It is a conventional heat only boiler supplying heat to a hot water cylinder and supplying heat to 9 radiators. The system is fully pumped (pump currently on setting 3) and uses 2 two-port valves to control the CH/HW. There is also a manual bypass valve.

Both the CH and HW seem to work fine. Plenty of hot water in the tank and nice warm radiators. However, I noticed during the colder months that the boiler was cycling on and off at an alarming rate, a minute on followed by a minute off. Although the CH did get hot it was struggling to meet the 20C demanded by the roomstat. After further investigation I found that the boiler cycling was not due to the roomstat reaching its temperature. The boiler will cycle even with the roomstat still demanding heat. I should mention that upon initial start up the boiler fires continuously. Then when its running hot the cycling starts.

Further to this I procured some thermometers to balance the radiators. I never got this far as Ive been puzzling over the cycling. I used the thermometers on the flow and return pipes from the boiler. With the boiler thermostat set on 5 (max setting is 6) the flow only reaches 50C before the cycling starts. The boiler manual and various online literature suggests that the flow should be up at 80C. over the 30mins I was measuring temperatures the return started off at 44C and gradually increased to 48C. The whole time the flow cycled between 50C where the boiler would switch of and then restart when the flow was down to about 49C.

I also noticed that the boiler casing gets very hot. Upon initial start up the measured temperature shot up to over 60C and gradually over the hour or so I was playing with the boiler it only dropped to about 55C.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I am thinking of replacing the boiler thermostat sensor. Should the casing really be getting that hot?

Sponsored Links
Try cleaning the boiler and room stats first by blowing the dusts out etc.

This can cause malfunction.

Don't forget to turn off electric mains as they are lives terminal inside.

Thanks for the reply masona... I cleaned out the boiler stat but no change in boiler behaviour. Back to the drawing board.

This is a difficult one.It could be.....

1. The boiler stat or room stat faulty
2. The boiler not powerful enough e.g. low btu output which will shutdown more frequently than higher btu output.
3. The boiler might need a service regarding gas pressure test & thermocoupling etc.
4. The boiler stat too high causing water to overheat to shut boiler down.
5. Pump or motorized valve faulty.

You can also try shutting 50% of your radiators and see what happen to boiler.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that your pump is not sticking or knacked. [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back