Ideal Classic FF380 fails to ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Had problems with the fan becoming noisy on 7 year old boiler recently, but copper greased it made it much quieter. Now intermittently the boiler won't light. The fan comes on, and spins, the APS click/switches and then I hear/see the clicking of ignition electrode, but no iginition. Then sometimes when I switch the boiler off and back on - everything works normal. Then after 15 mins fails to ignite again. Is it likely to be the related to the fan even though it appears to be working and the APS switches? Or possibly the Gas valve. It is very intermittent. If the fan is on and APS switches is that proof enough that there is enough draw through boiler? This was serviced last month. Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
We dont give DIY repair advice on gas/combustion matters on the open forum for obvious safety reasons.

The only advice that we can give is to call a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I must have got a little confused as I have read lots of advice on this website, but maybe it was in a different forum. :D

Sponsored Links
OK I'm sorry Tony, I don't want to upset you, but here goes:-
I want to ask what I hope is a basic Boiler question.
I have viewed the circuit board on my Classic FF380 - which is easily accessible from the base and I see the Neon SG1 flashing which indicates ignition operation, according to the manual - but I don't see any spark through the sightglass.
My question is - if this is happening does it rule out the fan and the APS being faulty? Does this point to an internal problem with the pilot burner/electrode or a problem with the Gas valve i.e the solenoid?

I only ask out of interest. I will call my gas safe registered engineer 1st thing monday, the one who serviced this boiler last month. I want to give him a detailed account of the fault as possible as the fault is very intermittent and I want to be very clear about what I observe without breaking any laws or rules or putting my family or me in danger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back