Ideal Classic NF30 - intermittent fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We recently moved house and found that , although the electric timeswitch is on, the boiler is sometimes off :(
We can sometimes kickstart the boiler into burning gas by turning the timeswitch off and on manually, but other times this has no effect. Other days it works fine thankfully.
I can hear the boiler click when the timeswitch goes on, even when it does not fire up.

Can anybody please suggest the possible causes? Am I better off getting a boiler policy in case it stops working, or just getting somebody in now?

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
I was working on the basis that the timer must be ok as the boiler is clicking whenever you manually turn the timeswitch to on..it just doesnt always then light up.

Aarrgh..it has stopped working again now :(
Is the timer a possible cause, even though the boiler is clicking and I can hear water moving when the timer kicks the hot water on?
If so, am I allowed to replace the timer myself with a like for like (it looks simple to do), or do I have to get a GasSafe man in?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply :)
The programmer is a Invensys Drayton Lifestyle LP112.
Also, if it is ok to swap it over myself, can I upgrade to the 7 day version?

I dont know, where would that be? Is it viewable without removing the case (I am not at home to check at the moment).
I can remember having a fairly large cased PSU at the front left and what I assumed was a fan at the rear right. I will have a look later.
Thanks

Oh :oops:
The boiler is downstairs and the hot water cylinder is upstairs. So I definitely would not have found it looking where I planned to check.

You can change the programmer yourself but do set the switches on the back correctly first.

Just undo the screws underneath and swing the bottom outwards.

But the problem seem to be within the boiler which would need a boiler engineer.

Make sure anyone you choose CAN repair boilers otherwise all you will get is that you will need to replace it.

They CAN be repaired but a £98 job is little attraction for the semi cowboys compared with a £1500 replacement job!

Tony

Thanks,
I am already trying to find a decent genuine plumber in the area :) (my regular does not do boilers)

Rang the local heating expert. He said that the PCB had gone as he could track power to it. Said it would be £100 for the part and £150 for fitting.
Does that sound ok to you? Seemed high labour for 1 hours work?

Just noticed that British Gas do a 1 off repair for any fault for £170 odd. Is that correct? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back