ideal concord- pilot goes out??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with my (old) boiler. It wont fire up on its main burner. When i switch it on the pilot just goes out??

Had a guy come and have a look but he was unable to fix the problem. THe thermocouple thing was replaced. I can light the pilot with no probs at all. i then turn up the thermostat and the pilot light goes out.

The guy mentioned it could be either the gas valve, but then shook his head at the case seals as he said they were very worn. When he put the case back he also put some sticky ??aluminium around.

Not heard back from him so would like some advice from you guys here. I can hear the pump running in the cupboard upstairs ( i did a search to look for similar symptoms)

Help

Alice xxx

Sponsored Links
Well it could be a gas valve problem.
Case seals can be critical, depending...
Lot s of things it could be...

its puzzling to me??

At the moment the boiler looks fine. I've relit the pilot with out any probs at all. Then turn up the thermostat to light the main boiler and nothing at all happens. The thermostat does click. 30 secs later the pilot goes out.

I would want to remove the pilot injector and blow through with my compressor. After that I would be testing for 240V at the gas valve.

Both of these need someone who is competent and safe working with live electrics.

I would suggest gettin another corgi in who knows what he is doing :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks gasforyou.

My partner is pretty safe with electrics. He says he can test with a 'multimeter' if hes given instructions at what to test for on the gas valve.

PS: guy who came has phoned back. quoted me £180 to change the gas valve. Said it cant be anything else. Told me that he properly cleaned the pilot injector.

I just want to confirm its at fault before spending such alot of money..

Maybe i should just hit it with my curling tongs :LOL:

Alice

NOT if they are GHDs'. They break at the slightest use :eek: I know as I live in a household with 4 girls/women AND 2 female cats :LOL:

When there is a call for heat and the boiler should be firing you need to check for 240V at the L & N on the gas valve.

It sounds to me like there is not enough gas to go round when the main gas valve opens (assuming it is).

Has your installer checked all the basics ie working pressure at meter etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back