Ideal E type 80N replacement (With what)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old boiler at 25yrs is coming to the end of its life (like me at 69) and my wife wants it replaced. I would welcome advice from you experts and I assume the replacement will be one not needing the hot water tank we have. The house is a 4 bedroom detached (1980) and is a bit cold now I assume due to the old boiler losing efficiency.

Happy and prosperous 2009 to all you helpful people.

Alfie

Sponsored Links
i would source a reliable heating engineer to come and assess your existing setup and your future needs.may need a partial or complete overall.

You can decide if you want to keep a HW cylinder or not.

If you do it be probably be best to upgrade it to a new fast recovery model, then have a new condensing 'system' or 'open vent' boiler fitted.

You have also got the option of having a combi fitted to have instant hot water on demand. These are very popular these days, but not necessarily perfect for all households, especially those containing more than one bathroom that may be needed to be used at the same time.

One of the biggest factors you will need to decide is where the new boiler will be sited, bearing in mind flue routes and pipe work access etc.

There is also an outside chance that you may new some new radiators, especially as you say your house doesn't feel too warm.

What make of boiler you get will depend a lot on your budget, but as long as you avoid anything made by Ideal and possibly Ariston you won't go far wrong.

Your local installer should be in a position to answer any and all of your questions fully, a lot better than any of us on here, as he will see your individual circumstances for him self.

Remember you have what you want, after proper discussion/consideration, not necessarily what an installer wants to push onto you.

Sponsored Links
You need mears calculations doing - but remember to comply with Part L it needs to be a condensing boiler

Depending where you are why not try for the government grant scheme.

Ps gas4you an ideal mexico HE would be a direct replacement provided he upgrades to fully pumped if not already done and its fairly robust and reliable not too much to go wrong provided it is installed correctly and system flushed correctly too!

Do Ideal do a condensing flue liner as an option for the mexico? If not I would have thought it would be a good idea.

Still struggling with the HE36 :rolleyes: I've now discovered in is an installation fault with the condensate pipe run :mad:

To install the boiler in an existing position using the existing chimney/flue that is there.

Yet another reason not to fit an Ideal then :rolleyes:

Even Halstead do condensate flue liners for this purpose.

I'll stick to fitting ATAG's, flue's for every occasion and a manufacturer that makes their own HE that doesn't leak after 3-4 years:cool:

And you have been fitting them that long dave to know ;)

Personally no, but have contact with other select dealers who have been, and all reporting everything is reliable and ok with them.

You get what you pay for.

Same as warmfront companies will tell you they never have a problem with icos and isars ;) :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back