IDEAL HSAR 35 BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an IDEAL HSAR HE35 COMBI BOILER. This was fitted about 5 years ago and has been giving me problems since 2007. First of all the water heat exchanger had to be replaced. Last year it had another problem wher the 't' light used to come on so frequently, it did not allow heat or hot water to work properly. Luckily I have had a boiler cover with Homeserve and these issues were fixed.

However, now there is now a problem which is giving a major headache. The 'd' light, for domestic hot water comes on very regularly. I had the boiller engineer on site and he changed a filter, but it still has not fixed the problem. The warranty company Homeserve now says there must be a leak in the hot water piping system in the house to the taps that is causing this problem. I have had a plumber come in to look and see if there is a leak and he has checked every pipe that he can access and looked around the house/bathrooms, toilets/kitchen and cannot identify a leak. He says if there is a leak in the hot water pipes then the boiler should stay on domestic hot water all the time not intermittently. Homeserve will not accept this and claims its a leak and until that is fixed they cannot look at the boiler and claims the boiler is fine.

I am stuck....help!

Sponsored Links
Its not difficult to check for a leak on mains fed pipework if you have a water meter.Make sure all taps are off and check the test dial on the water meter for any movement.The slightest leak will cause the indicator to move.

Thanks to both 45years and onlyfit. I will try isolating the cold water to the boiler and see if it stops the d light coming on.

45yearsagasman, Thanks for you comment. Unfortunatley I am not on a water meter, any thing else I can do to see if there is a leak, apart from taking out floorboards and floor tiles and other fittings, I dont want end up spending lots of money to isolate a leak, if indeed its a leak.

Sponsored Links
Onlyfitidealboilers,

Tried isolate the cold water supply to the boiler and still see the 'd' light coming on albeit with less frquency. This is now getting more confusing......need a stiff drink I think. Seriously though, what can I do?.

Rgds

Tony, how many pipes on DHW are buried/hidden? if it's only 1 or 2 pipes, chop-chop, and repipe temporarily, i know it costs, but that would be DIY for myself. But it would prove to people involved that you plumber is right/wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back