Ideal Icos Boiler - No Central Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I posted about a year ago regarding my boiler when I was unfortunately getting the FL error on the display with no central heating etc. In the end Barratts came out and unblocked the condensate trap and it worked fine. My old thread (incase you are interested) -//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102208

This time though, there is no error code on the boiler (Model HE12, HE15, HE18, HE24, not sure which one) and although Central Heating is being requested via the thermostat, the boiler is showing code 0 which means there is NO request for heating or hot water.

It doesnt seem to want to fire up or even attempt it :confused:

The blue "burner" light is not coming on and the thermostat is clicking at 14 degrees.

Clearly somethings wrong and I better add my neighbour had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. She was charged £180 for a part (I cant remember which one, I will find out though).

Any ideas on this or should we just call out a repair man?

BTW, the 2 years is now up for Barratts guarantee.

Thanks in adance for any help or advice that can be offered as always:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks corgiman :p

My neighbour who had exactly the same problem lastweek has just told me it was not a problem with the boiler itself but the pump in the "airing cupboard" upstairs (where the back up immersion heater is) needed replacing at about £200 :eek:

I appreciate "the pump in the airing cupboard needs replacing" is not very technical but unfortunately I arent :oops:

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Her heating is working fine now and we have the same guy coming out to fix this in the morning who fixed our neighbours so I am sure he will do a good job I am just unsure as to why both boilers have died within a couple of weeks of eachother?

New Barratt houses built about 30 months ago. My neighbours and ours must have had the boilers put in within days of eachother as they were both built at the same time, and BOTH have the same problem within a week of eachother 30 months down the line :confused:

Is this an inherent problem with these boilers? I think Barratts have ripped us off personally and if the problem is the same as my neighbours I will type up a letter and try and get our money back for the fix. In my eyes it cant just be co-incidence! Maybe it is, hence why I ask you guys/gals ;)

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved. Again I apologise for not being very technical, I am hoping I make some kind of sense :confused:

no display on boiler= knackered PCB

as for barratts how could they rip you off they didnt make the boiler did they

so good luck with that

:)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, maybe you was confused corgiman, there is an 0 on the LCD display indicating no central heating is being requested. Its not that the LCD is not working at all.

With regards to being ripped off by Barratts. When I buy a brand new house, I dont expect to be paying £200 for a boiler part 6 months out of their 2 year warranty period.

Fair enough if it was me on my own and it was just plain bad luck but when my Neighbours boiler had exactly the same fault, again just outside the 2 year period, I personally believe Barratts have provided us with a boiler which has an inherent fault and therefore is not suitable for purpose.

If I was to buy a brand new boiler i would make sure I did some research first and buy a boiler which has a high chance of not being faulty within the first year and then again the second year of its life.

I see what your saying about Barratts not making the boiler however they fitted the faulty boiler in an "executive home" for which I paid alot of money for.

Thanks again for your help it is most appreciated

I am wrong its not your PCB nut something outside

is everything calling for heat? Programmer on etc

as for a housebuilder looking into the best boiler for reliabilty etc I think they dont think further than "what is the cheapest"

as for a housebuilder looking into the best boiler for reliabilty etc I think they dont think further than "what is the cheapest"

Thanks again mate,

Yeah everything is calling for heat, including the hot water when I turn the tap on but that is currently being provided by the back up hot water tank as such. The programmer is on and working fine. I can set the boiler to come on and off no problem. The problem is it doesnt even try to fire up. It just shows a 0 on the LCD panel indicating there is no heat being requested :confused:

I have just spoken to Barratts and like you said, they arent the slightest bit interested. We are out of the 2 years period and they dont see my neighbours boiler doing the same thing as linked, more like a co-incidence apparently :rolleyes: Maybe it is, I am no expert. I am just fuming we have to fork out £200 for a pump or something when it could be an inherent fault but I arent technical or qualified enough to say otherwise :evil:

Oh well, the repairman is coming tomorrow and no doubt leaving with a big cheque for a small part (pump). Time to get some BG insurance if these boilers are so unreliable!

Any more advice would be greatfully received. I am prepared to accept it is co-incidence about the boilers, just not from some call centre worker at Barratts but a qualified plumber instead:cool:

Thanks again corgiman :p

It aint the pump on yer system mate at all.
The boiler is not getting a call for heat.
A wee simple check is to take out the five pin plug underneath(turn off power to system at fused spur)
Hold it in your hand with wires away from you and the wires on the right are your call and switch live.
Disconnect these two wires and put a loop in between the two terminals plug back into boiler and it will light.
This proves external controls not calling for heat.
If it is a two two port (S plan) and you are getting hot water but no heating then it narrows it down to the zone valve (stat normally clicks if 240v to it).
If none working could be a fault at these wires at boiler.
Hope this helps if it is a synchron motor or actuator needing replaced both are very easy to do and shouldnt cost you too much!

You dont half talk mince at times. Do you actually understand how an Icos works....Pcb ....Pcb
External controls not calling for heat. And Icos and Isars are not cheapy boilers in the slightest. Most calls I come against are instal or poor water quality or wiring faults! :evil:

if you turn hot water on at clock and turn cylinder stat up does boiler fire ? if not u need to check that a switched live is actualy being sent by the time clock

:)[/quote]
You dont half talk mince at times. Do you actually understand how an Icos works....Pcb ....Pcb
External controls not calling for heat. And Icos and Isars are not cheapy boilers in the slightest. Most calls I come against are instal or poor water quality or wiring faults! :evil:[/quote]

well said

It aint the pump on yer system mate at all.
The boiler is not getting a call for heat.
A wee simple check is to take out the five pin plug underneath(turn off power to system at fused spur)
Hold it in your hand with wires away from you and the wires on the right are your call and switch live.
Disconnect these two wires and put a loop in between the two terminals plug back into boiler and it will light.
This proves external controls not calling for heat.
If it is a two two port (S plan) and you are getting hot water but no heating then it narrows it down to the zone valve (stat normally clicks if 240v to it).
If none working could be a fault at these wires at boiler.
Hope this helps if it is a synchron motor or actuator needing replaced both are very easy to do and shouldnt cost you too much!

Evening all,

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I have quoted the above one as it seems very likely. Zone Valve hhmmm. Maybe it was the zone valve he replaced when he fixed my neighbours heating and not the pump, and my neighbour just got it wrong? Like me she isnt very technical lol

I wouldnt even like to try the electrical test you mentioned. Thanks anyway though, I would try it if the repairman wasnt coming out in the morning maybe but I honestly think after what you posted that it is a replacement Zone Valve I need.

2 reasons make me suspect this, reason 1, during my "discussion" with Barratt this afternoon I am sure the lady on the telephone told me it was most likely the valve which needed replacing, and reason 2, you mentioned hot water. I thought my emersion was providing the hot water but when I checked it wasnt, therefore I must have hot water but no heating, exactly as your above post says I would have if it was a zone valve.

Would you expect a zone valve to cost between £160-£200 fitted?

Thanks again for your responses. They are very much appreciated.

Just before I go, a couple of people have mentioned my boiler/heating system as not being "cheap" etc. This goes against my letter I have typed to Barratt :LOL: :cry: Like I said, I arent techical so thanks for that, I will take that bit out of my letter ;) I must say though, I am still disappointed at having to spend £200 on it only 30 months into its life. Is this the norm for boilers/heating these days? I ask because it seems a big co-incidence that my boiler/heating would have been fitted at the same time as my neighbours and they both get the same fault within weeks of eachother, 30 months later :confused: Paranoid? maybe! But I think anyone would be £200 out of pocket 3 weeks from xmas :cry: Just wondered if anyone can set me straight one way or another?

Cheers :p

Anyone with an Ideal boiler that is more than 24 months old are on borrowed time before they get a massive bill.

Best thing is to do what 4 of my customers have now done, had the carp Ideals ripped out at 4 years and replaced with a make that will last.

A HE going at 3 to 4 years on a clean system is just plain carp design.

Ideal can't hide behind blaming installers anymore.

The only ones fitting this rubbish these days are Warmfront, which says it all :rolleyes:

Most Warmfront installers wouldn't now what a gas boiler is if it fell off the shelf and hit them :eek: :LOL:

Anyone with an Ideal boiler that is more than 24 months old are on borrowed time before they get a massive bill.

Best thing is to do what 4 of my customers have now done, had the carp Ideals ripped out at 4 years and replaced with a make that will last.

A HE going at 3 to 4 years on a clean system is just plain carp design.

Ideal can't hide behind blaming installers anymore.

The only ones fitting this rubbish these days are Warmfront, which says it all :rolleyes:

Most Warmfront installers wouldn't now what a gas boiler is if it fell off the shelf and hit them :eek: :LOL:

so you've made them get new boilers rather than a quick repair,rogue traders here you come

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back