Ideal ICOS HE15 leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just been on a holiday and came back to this.

does anyone have any idea as to what this could be?

Everything seems to be working normal, but this shouldnt happen. Has anyone had similar problems?

Sponsored Links
Could be a few things, air vent leaking, either of the two heat exchangers leaking, condensate trap or sump leaking.

When was it last serviced? Is it a sealed system with a pressure gauge or open system with header tank in loft etc?

Could be a few things, air vent leaking, either of the two heat exchangers leaking, condensate trap or sump leaking.

When was it last serviced? Is it a sealed system with a pressure gauge or open system with header tank in loft etc?

It's an Icos has one hex. Looks like water has tracked down the cable?

It's an Icos has one hex. Looks like water has tracked down the cable?

Oops, of course it has. Can rule out one of the hex then. Judging by the colour of water, I suspect leaking from trap, if it was from sump due to being blocked there would probably be problems needing reset, and if hex leaking it would probably take out display/pcb

Sponsored Links
I'd agree. Weird how it hasn't fused the spur if fitted or mains, running down the isolator like that!

I just moved into the property last year.

I did notice this leak once a few months ago, but whilst, I went on holiday, I had changed the water setting from constant to timed. When I returned, I found this and since then I have kept the water to constant and no leaks since.

No error codes, nothing, everything seems to work as normal so far, just like last time.

Is it on a sealed system? If so, and the pressure isn't dropping, then it's almost certainly condensate leakage. I say 'almost certainly' because there is always the chance that the water spurce is elsewhere e.g. pipe in the wall, badly fitted flue etc.

Are there really no signs on the underside of the boiler as to where the water has tracked?

I would avoid temptation to ignore it as it'll find a way to punish you if you let it!

Thanks for your response MJN

I havent tried opening anything yet, however, the only sign is a brown/black dried fluid on the isolation cable as seen in the picture.

I did see this issue months ago and since it had dried when i noticed it, i thought it was something not related and ignored it and I did not see any repeated instances till I came back from my holiday this time around.

I dont want to ignore it this time around as it can fuse the spur, but in order to fix the problem I need to replicate the leak and it is not leaking at the moment.

The only difference now is, I have the water setting to constant rather than timed which I had when I was on holiday.

I have a Ideal ICos HE15 feeding a boilermate 0v and the system is about 7 years old.

It certainly looks like it's tracked down the cable - any sign of origin towards the top? You might need to remove the base cover to see properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back