ideal isar 30he boiler - any good??

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, Thanks for taking the trouble to help. Seems nearly anything would be a better choice than Ideal, do I HAVE to have what's on offer? As I see it, if they can't fit something else, at least I have presumably a one year guarantee, after which when it breaks down, I could have saved up for a Vaillant say. Then ditch the Ideal, and with the ancillaries in situ, [boiler, cold feed, gas, electricity, and drainage are being moved to a new place in the house], the changeover should be a relatively straightforward job for an engineer ;) Thanks again.
Ian C.

I've done some servicing under the Warmfront scheme and out of, say, 8 jobs a day, 7 would obviously be Ideal (the company that does most of the Warmfront installation was formerly owned 50% by Ideal, apparently) but occasionally I'd see a WB, Vaillant or Baxi. I just assumed that you'd have to pay some kind of difference but the one time I asked one of the customers with a Worcester if they had to, they said no, that they just insisted on having a Worcester and it wasn't a problem. I think tho that you're obviously allocated a certain amount in the grant so if there's enough left in it after the installation is covered, maybe they don't mind upgrading for nowt?

Sponsored Links
I can tell you that any applicant is entitled to choose from a list of boilers that the scheme has approved.

For combi's at present it is the
Ideal Logic 24, 30, 35 (not the Logic +)
Baxi Duo-Tec 24,28, 33
Vaillant ecotec pro 24, 28
Worcester Junior 24 & 28.

The Worcester 420 is available but the install has to meet certain criteria which is very rarely met.

The list does change occasionally.

I should also add that a single bathroom house gets a 24KW unless a more powerful boiler is already fitted and it's a replacement install. The larger outputs are used for two bath houses and up.

The scheme prefers to use the Ideal range as I imagine it is a cheaper option for them but also all the engineers (in theory) should be well versed in dealing with the one make.

Whatever boiler you chose its cost is simply deducted from the grant, you will only pay extra if the total job exceeds the £3500 maximum or whatever you have left of the grant if you have used some of it elsewhere for something else.

All the reports I have back from the fitters and managers are that the Logic is a very good boiler and they think it's a vast improvement over the Isar which contrary to reports here didn't present any more problems to WarmFront than anything else.

I can tell you the problems I've heard about or encountered with any or all of the above if you wish but it'll only start more trouble.

The most important thing about the boiler is the man who puts it in. Think about it.

As for the guarantee; it's two year and a service at the end of each of the years with the offer of an insurance scheme (for the boiler only I think) and a service contract.

When was the survey? the Isar's haven't been on the list for some months now (too heavy, health and safety issues).

We no longer make the Isar :D
I might sound biased but the Logic is tremendous.
The logic + with 5 years warranty even better bargain.
I know it will be hard to convince those stung in the past by Isars but ive been training installers and housing associations that have been taking the logic onboard and all have been extremely impressed with ease of fitting and ease of servicing and working on.
:cool: :cool:

Gentlemen!
Thanks again for the replies, the survey was just last week, and no makes or models were mentioned, so I reckon I will have a look at the ones available.
As the engineer was from the fitting company, [Warmfront having done the initial one which accepted me onto the scheme I think], and came across as very knowledgeable and professional, I think I should just go along with any advice that seems sound. I'll wait to see when they contact me and talk it through then.
Having spent a working lifetime as a Service Engineer and Manager, I do realise that not all personnel are on the same level, and that if a guy can't really understand the product, he'll tend to knock it if he can't fix it!
I'm extremely appreciative and genuinely surprised by the response from all of the serious respondents on this forum from so many parts of the country, taking time and trouble to write and share their experience, so many thanks once again.
Ian Colley, in sunny Stockport.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back