Ideal ISAR HE30 no main display

cheap boilers = expensive parts

get a worcester bosch fitted next year! in the mean time get a new PCB!

I had one once fail 3 times in a year! the cost of the pcb was outragous! thats why if i get a phone call from someone asking about a faulty isor,icos or whatever i reply, " que, je ne says par" and quickly put the phone down!

OK thanks,

It was not that cheap, fitted by BG

To check , I need the orange PCB (IDEAL product 174486 ) rather than grey display module

Sponsored Links
cheap boilers = expensive parts

get a worcester bosch fitted next year! in the mean time get a new PCB!

I had one once fail 3 times in a year! the cost of the pcb was outragous! thats why if i get a phone call from someone asking about a faulty isor,icos or whatever i reply, " que, je ne says par" and quickly put the phone down!

OK thanks,

It was not that cheap, fitted by BG

To check , I need the orange PCB (IDEAL product 174486 ) rather than grey display module

yes you do!

although it is a cheap boiler, you probably paid a fortune for it through BG. Fact is it is a poor quality cheap boiler.

the fact BG (used to ?) fit these is probably worth a thread on its own!!!

It is one of those boilers where the manufacturer should openly apologise - and then subject the person that signed off the design to a humiliating painful rectal procedure. Involving one of these boilers.

Sponsored Links
It is one of those boilers where the manufacturer should openly apologise - and then subject the person that signed off the design to a humiliating painful rectal procedure. Involving one of these boilers.

that bad ? :D :D :D

One concern I have is if there is the root cause fault that may have created PCB to fail , then replaced PCB will fail again ?

Is there any known common fault that would trigger PCB failure ?

Generally shyte electrics. Nowt you can do about it as nearly all of them have safety implications for the boiler operations.

If you try anything clever it could have unforeseen consequences further down the operating cycle.

The PCBs are sealed in their little case too (not that they are that hard to open).

It really isn't worth spending a fortune of repairing as has been said.

You have not does anything to upset me apart from ignoring advice about this boiler.

The best solution for you is a fixed price repair by Ideal or BG ( who have recently changed their charging so check ).

The main PCB will fail if water has leaked onto the display PCB or its connector or the back to back connector.

The main PCB is not protected against even small overloads. The transformer overheats and deforms the plastic case so the problem can be seen on the outside if you are experienced in what to look for.

Its a risky repair even for a pro who should know better. Overlook something and your new expensive PCB fails as well.

Take our advice, a fixed price repair, or a new boiler!

Tony

You have not does anything to upset me apart from ignoring advice about this boiler.

The best solution for you is a fixed price repair by Ideal or BG ( who have recently changed their charging so check ).

The main PCB will fail if water has leaked onto the display PCB or its connector or the back to back connector.

The main PCB is not protected against even small overloads. The transformer overheats and deforms the plastic case so the problem can be seen on the outside if you are experienced in what to look for.

Its a risky repair even for a pro who should know better. Overlook something and your new expensive PCB fails as well.

Take our advice, a fixed price repair, or a new boiler!

Tony

BG have advised they do fixed price, but the cost will depend on the time it takes to fix the fault.

up to 30m it is £89, up to 2h it is £229, and over 2h it is £449, so it will depend on how long this takes to fix. to swap the board should be simple job but i suspect BG man will claim it takes more than 30 minutes,...

BG will quote, but if you decide not to proceed they will charge £89 for call out charge.

BG also offer fixed price fix for £99 if I take out monthly service plan for £22 for minimum of 12 months so this works out £363 but id does provide 12 month service plan.

The cost of the PCB at local merchant in Harrow / London is £185.

will post back once i get the quote

Does anyone have the clue how long it should take for BG man to change the PCB ?

BG Engineer attended today, he confirmed that PSB is faulty. The cost of the repair was £229.

The repair took only short time but the reason why it has taken more than 30 minutes is due to the need to fit new Burner Ionisation Probes. This is accorging to BG Enginner a safety critical component that needs replacing on this boiler in any case ( no diagnostic ) . These probes look like some simple metal clips.

If the repair takes less than 30 minutes the cost is only £89. Is it possible that the reason these probes are replaced is to pad out time it takes to repair the boiler ?

Has anyone come accross these probes and why do they need changing, boiler was working fine?

They often warp. They need to be clean and the correct shape in order to detect the ionisation across the burner.

I don't know of a specific safety issue with the Isar, however they are an important.

And more than simple clips.

At the end of the day I am happy with the repair, BG offered to put me on the contract , £99 charge for first fix and then £22 per month, service contract, this will include annual check. So after the advice offered here, I have decided to take up the offer and set up an annual contract.

Enginner also did some safety tests.

The PCB was £180 so on that basis the service contract is well worth and also the 12 month worry free operation.

Thanks for your advice

£363 a year? S'pose this is one of the few boilers worth having it for.

I had option either to pay £230 for one off repair or to set this up for £363, so took the service plan option as I don't trust the boiler, and cover includes radiators also.

With 2 small children at home ability to call BG engineer ads value , plus annual safety check ( this would cost me say at least £60 )

Once the service contract expires I will probably get different boiler.

All BG lads are told to open the Icos/Isar to check the probes. Only takes 20 mins or so but you need to be careful on early models that don't have the graphite cover bolts. I'm sure that some don't do it but I always do, the horrors I have found lurking in there recently. :eek:

I'm a bit dubious about their name and supposed function. What they actually do is stop the burner insulation falling over and deflecting the burner flame into the side of the Heatex and burning a hole right through the back of the boiler. There are three different versions with varying degrees of success at holding the insulation up. Safety critical indeed.

okay get fixed priced from bg not home serve
but use independant to fit new boiler as soon as you can
i would recomend main or volkera but every engineer has their own opion on boilers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back