Ideal Istor - Blank Display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just got home tonight and noticed the boiler wasn't working. The boiler display is completely blank (although the timer part is working fine).

Having taken the bottom off, I noticed that the pressure was down to 0.25, but am not sure if this was like this before I went out! I've opened the valve and restored the pressure up to 1.25 but this hasnt helped)

I had the same thing a couple of years ago and Ideal fixed it under warranty, but don't remember being told what the problem was (maybe PCB?)

Anybody experienced the same thing? Don't want to get ripped off by anybody (as last time it happened it was obvious the engineer didnt have a clue!) :)

Sponsored Links
I dont know what you do for a living and perhaps you rip people off in your own profession?

However, in spite of what these TV entertainment shows may portray, the reality is that the vast majority of boiler engineers are honest and trustworthy. Ask about their charging basis before you arange for them to come to you.

You could check that the mains supply has not been switched off by accident, the fuse is OK and the consumer unit has not tripped.

Tony

Hi Agile,

No, I do not think that everybody is out to rip people off (and I apologise if that has come across), but it is certainly true that there are people out there (based on my own experience) that do not have a clue about the Istor boiler. In fact I still have the job sheet which lists 5 parts as being the possible cause!

I like to know what the possible causes are (as I am not an expert) so that I can ensure that I achieve a good service.

I have checked both the main fuse box and also changed the fuse in the spur as suggested by the Ideal website, but this has not had any effect.

Thanks
Petershroe

Very likely the board again , these are sh@te boilers , best get ideal out, think there fixed price is around 180 and thats roughly how much the board is

Sponsored Links
Thanks Namsag,

They seem to currently use WarmSure which is £210 to fix it or £299 to fix it and have a 12month warranty.

As you say these are naff boilers, 2nd problem inside 2 1/2 years aint good. Am going to speak to customer services in the morning and see if I can get a goodwill gesture

Hi Agile,

No, I do not think that everybody is out to rip people off (and I apologise if that has come across), but it is certainly true that there are people out there (based on my own experience) that do not have a clue about the Istor boiler. In fact I still have the job sheet which lists 5 parts as being the possible cause!

Thanks
Petershroe

There are quite a lot of people who are not very good at diagnosing boiler faults.

Merely listing parts which could possibly cause the problem is not diagnosing the problem.

Its not ripping anyone off if someone is not able to identify the faulty part but they should not make any charge unless they can fix it and certainly should not charge you for any parts which are not required.

Thats why competent people will offer a no-fix no-fee repair.

Tony

Having left the boiler switched on (so the immersion bit will work for hot water), 2 of the circuits in the house have just tripped (RCD and boiler circuits), which turned all the lights off as well!

I would also recommend getting Ideal out on a fixed price repair. It may be another component which is tripping the board that has blown the pcb (eg fan).

Ideal made this ****e, let them fix it at a loss :rolleyes:

Thanks Gas4You,

Will give them a call tomorrow. Am tempted to take out a British Gas contract after it is fixed by Ideal if I'm going to have this recurring problem.

Ideal do an annual contract for about £35/quarter. This would be better than any BG contract IMHO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back