Ideal mini c24 combi not lighting properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, basically looking for some advice/troubleshooting

I have the Ideal Mini c24 combi boiler and have an intermittent fault where it doesn't light properly. You can see and hear it trying to light but it then cuts out, ticks and you get the green rapid flashing error light on the far left. It will then repeat this process until you turn it off or it sometimes eventually fully lights. It does seem to be happening more often than it works now.

I've read around and tried to check for anymore fault lights but can only see the one on the front left but maybe I need to remove something? On its annual check I did mention the problem and he said it was fixed after he'd been (I wasn't personally in so not sure what he did)

I'll try and attach photos to show exactly which model I have.

Hopefully someone may know more than me!

Thanks

View media item 96666View media item 96665View media item 96664

Sponsored Links
Any number of causes...
Gas supply problem; gas valve; PCB etc, etc...

None of them a job for DIY really!
Your service engineer was only there for that & may not have been up to fault diagnosing!

Any number of causes...
Gas supply problem; gas valve; PCB etc, etc...

None of them a job for DIY really!
Your service engineer was only there for that & may not have been up to fault diagnosing!

Ok thanks for the reply, looks like I'll be giving them another call!

If you have a gas hob in the kitchen and that is working nicely, with a clean burning flame on all rings, then gas supply is likely ok and fault will be with gas valve sticking inside boiler... Again, RGI job only.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that what I expect to be the cause would have been solved by a PROPER service.

Unfortunately, so many services are not checking the settings as they should be doing.

A BG "service" is actually only a "safety check" and just involves measuring the flue gases out side and not even taking the case off.

A proper service will take about 25 minutes and will take off the case.

Tony

Seems like the whole gas service industry wants a kick up the backside. Isn't there
a proper legally binding standard checklist that a HE has to follow when servicing a boiler? A checklist and recorded measurements etc, signed off with a customer copy of what has actually been tested/adjusted/repaired.

Anyone who doesn't follow it to the letter facing a stiff fine and retraining at their cost and a ban for any repeat offenders.

When BG have a significant market presence, no manufacturer would risk upsetting them in case they stopped fitting and maintaining their boilers.

The reality is that what needs to be done at a service varies according to the condition of the boiler. To do everything listed by the manufacturer would take a long time and make services more than the typical £65.

Anyone has to right to waste their money and ask for a "full service" according to the manual. But that would be a waste of time and money.

Furthermore, most boilers are made of very thin parts which would not survive annual dismantling.

BG discovered that totally dismantling boilers created more faults then they prevented. Their current flue analysis only is perhaps to far the other way.

My view is that the minimum is a full internal visual inspection and a full check of the gas settings and where appropriate a flue gas analysis.

Tony

Last edited:
If you have a gas hob in the kitchen and that is working nicely, with a clean burning flame on all rings, then gas supply is likely ok and fault will be with gas valve sticking inside boiler... Again, RGI job only.
Good luck.

Yes gas hobs all working fine.

Thanks for the replies and the discussion about BG!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the gas valve as such.

But I do expect some boiler settings are not correct because of limited servicing actions over several years.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back