ideas to avoid a full re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if there is anyone who could answer my query?

I would like to eventually update all the electrics in my house as it still has the original wiring(approx 1960) but at present am not able to afford a full re-wire.

Would it be possible to in stall a new consumer unit first and then re-wire different parts of the house at later dates, eg. when i get a new kitchen then get that done with additional sockets and put it on its own circuit within the new consumer and then carry this on throughtout the house until all or most of the house has been updated?

I am hoping this, or something similar, would be possible to do as money is tight in the current climate and thought this might be a less expensive alternative to having to pay for a full re-wire in one go, which would seriously delay(financially) other improvements which are needed around the house.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
There isn't a simple answer to your question - essentially there are two things you could do instead of a complete rewire:

* You could replace the current (I assume fuse board) with a modern consumer unit, this would only be possible if the current wiring passed appropriate tests (i.e. was in good enough condition). At that point, you could have individual circuits rewired as and when necessary, although if they've passed tests in order to hook up to modern CU, then this isn't actually necessary (the tests mean the wiring is in good enough nick).

* You could put in a new CU in addition to the existing one (split the meter tails using e.g. a Henley block) and then wire new circuits to it as they get done. This is only possible if you have enough room near to your current CU/fuseboard.

Ultimately, your best bet is probably to spend some money on having a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) done by a qualified electrician - this will involve testing your existing wiring to determine what condition it's in, as well as inspecting various things to check for obvious danger etc. You'll get a report at the end of it that essentially tells you what's OK, what's not, and the electrician should be able to recommend what needs doing, and in what order etc. This also means that you know if anything is immediately dangerous, and would need to be fixed immediately (it's all well and good saying you can't afford it, but obviously some circuits it might be you can't afford not to, if they're in that bad condition that they could cause a fire etc).

you can do that but remember if the other project are going to be in areas that cables need to be run, you may be having to remove plaster, flooring damage decorated areas. So be careful what you decide to do does not cause unwanted problems and wasted time and money later on.

Hi Kgray,

Fiddly, awkward, inconvienient, messy.

lets just say, for example, complete rewire, no faults, including one complete set of tests as appropriate £2500.

Or:-

Board change now, test, find failures, possible remedial work, perhaps £400-£1000(or just pick a number, its anyones guess)

Part rewire in 6-12 months and test £1000.

Another part rewire 12 months after that, test again £1000.

Although breaking the work up may sugar the pill for a while, in the long term, it will not be economic.

It will most certainly be far more inconvienient to move furniture, lift carpets, chop out walls etc time and time again (unless you want all your wiring surface mounted somehow, yuck)

Sponsored Links
Hi Kgray,

Fiddly, awkward, inconvienient, messy.

lets just say, for example, complete rewire, no faults, including one complete set of tests as appropriate £2500.

Or:-

Board change now, test, find failures, possible remedial work, perhaps £400-£1000(or just pick a number, its anyones guess)

Part rewire in 6-12 months and test £1000.

Another part rewire 12 months after that, test again £1000.

Although breaking the work up may sugar the pill for a while, in the long term, it will not be economic.

It will most certainly be far more inconvienient to move furniture, lift carpets, chop out walls etc time and time again (unless you want all your wiring surface mounted somehow, yuck)
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about it like that, may be better to bite the bullet and get the lot done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back