Ideas to bring Deck Handrail up to 1100mm for B/C?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an elevated deck and at that height the building control specifies that the handrail must be 1100mm - problem was, when the deck was built no local suppliers offered posts of a large enough height. So, at the moment the hand rail (same as pictured) is at 930mm or thereabouts, 1100mm would fall right in the middle of the 'ball' at the top of the post.

View media item 76368
The way the deck was constructed, removing/replacing the posts isn't an option. A joiner suggested fixing a deck board to the facing of the handrail, up the the 1100mm level. I'm not sure if this would be acceptable to B/C...but even if it was, it wouldn't look great. Would an additional strip of handrail over the top do?

Sponsored Links
You will probably be best cutting the post in the meaty square section below the ball and making a scarf joint or fitting large dowels and gluing on a new top as you would a newal post on stairs.

Then remove the handrail and put a capping piece of some sort over the spindles. then float your new handrail at the right height and fill the gap with lattice work/ trelis of some description.

Its difficult and requires good joinery skills to do it well but a fair bit less work than replacing the posts

Thanks r896, it's a little hard to visualise but I've got an idea of what's possible. I take it handrail & spindles would be lifted as a complete unit leaving the gap below (to be filled with trellis?).

Sponsored Links
Selling my house - just concerned the issue might be raised with concerns to building control? I know it's not usually an issue for decking but mine's is about 6ft off the ground, with stairs.

Forget about it, seeing as its in the garden, arguably it doesn't even need to comply with the Regs anyway.

Firstly you are quoting from English Regs, not Scottish which are usually a little more forgiving, though I am not overly familiar with them.

Seriously though, why bother when its highly likely not to even be noticed. Ultimately if things really did get messy somehow and it became a show stopper then address it at that time.

It's just because I've sold the house Freddy, there's a possibility BC might need to come out (related to something else), so I thought I might need to address it.

freddies right i assumed this was in order to get it signed off from BC.

Very few surveyors would even notice.

Building control will also most likely have zero interest in anything outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back