Identify (Confirmation?) of Type Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roofer buddies, I need you're assistance, I'm doing the Planning for a barn conversion, part of the roof is tiled in these:

After a little googling (and the fact that its written on the back of the tiles :rolleyes:) I believe these are Lockjaw Double Grip Tiles

Can anyone shed any light on these tiles ie their rough history or if they know anything else about them? Google has let me down!

I see they crop up on ebay or in reclamation yards now and then, not a tile I've ever come across before.

Thanks

freddy

Sponsored Links
Only used them once and that was in Bulgaria and it did not look like they had been imported, I see them around Lancashire here and there but on houses from the 20s and 30s

They look a bit like a koramic tile. If not a perfect match they ll have something similar. You ll need a translator for that website though.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the responses so far, out of interest the owner (who'll be doing the conversion) likes them and is confident of finding enough spares through ebay/reclamation yards as there are areas that require attention.

Not my call nosey, I'm pretty indifferent about their appearance, can't comment the bird etc issues.

I don't think it's a good roof tile at all. If I am the owner, I'll probably use modern roof tiles in the market which are more convenient, thicker and stronger. I hope you consider renovating the barn that is more up-to-date.

I don't think it's a good roof tile at all. If I am the owner, I'll probably use modern roof tiles in the market which are more convenient, thicker and stronger. I hope you consider renovating the barn that is more up-to-date.

Assuming the tile is servicable and that the owner can keep some spares, why replace it? It's part of the history of the building.

I get your point. If it has historical value and significance, surely it's something to be proud of. Nevertheless, I do think he could renovate his barn to make it last longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back