Identifying correct shower kw rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a complete DIY novice, so go easy on me!

My shower has packed up and I'm looking to buy a replacement. As I understand it, the easiest option is to look for a replacement model that has the same kw rating - I'm hoping this will reduce my installation costs when I ask a plumber/electrician to come and fit it for me.

I currently have a Triton Ivory II shower unit and I understood that it would be either an 8.5, a 9.5 or 10.5 kw model.

I've opened up the case to see if I can identify which it is. According to the label, it is 8.7-9.5kw.

Now for the dumb question - which figure is the relevant one? Have I got a 9.5kw shower?

Thanks in advance,

KB

Sponsored Links
It's possible that it's 8.7kW at 230v and 9.5kW at 240v.

To advise if your cabling is correct (may have been undersized in the first place) you could do with telling us the size and type of protective device, size of installed cable, length of run and conditions (in trunking, covered in insulation etc).
We could then make a judgement of the largest shower you could fit to your existing circuit.
It may be better to have your chosen electrician pop by take a quick look for you.

Hi there!
First i have to say that 8.7 and 9.5 must relate to diferent voltages so is more like that is a 9.5kw but the only way you chect for sure is measuring the resistante of the heater exchange.

One thing you have to be carefull when you buying a new one is the entrance of the water and power to be in the same side of the old one that way you will save a lot of money on labour.
But what is wrong with the shower?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies - yes, I think it makes sense that it's 8.7kw at 230 and 9.5 at 240kw.

In terms of what's gone wrong with the shower - it seems to vary in temperature dramatically between scolding hot and freezing cold - this seems to have been occurring consistently for some time.

In the last week, this initial problem has continued and now the water only seems to maintain a constant water pressure for 30 seconds or so and then that drops off too. This latter problem occurs no matter what temperature the shower controls are set to.

I think it's probably a cheap shower unit and I'm assuming that it will probably be as cheap for me to replace it, as it will to try and get it repaired (particularly given my own lack of DIY skills - I don't think I'd have the confidence to mess with something involves both electricity and water).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back