Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me what KW shower to buy? I am not sure the size of electrical cable that has been installed. How will I know the size of the cable?
I have a 8.5 kw shower at the moment, but would like to upgrade to 9.5 or 10.5 if possible.
Many Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi, It says BS 6004 on the cable. Does this tell you what size the cable is?
Thanks Dave

Do you mind if I ask why you are looking to upgrade?

The reason I ask is, I have made the mistake in the past of thinking that a bigger kW shower will give me a better shower - IMHO, they don't. If you are expecting a power shower or something, I think you'll be disappointed.

Just trying to help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Wabbitpoo, The 8.5 kw shower I have at the moment doesn't get very hot especially in winter when the temp drops, that's the reason for a higher kw shower.
Thanks Dave

A 6mm cable will typical have a single core earth (2.5mm).
A 10mm cable will typically have a stranded earth cable (4mm).

A larger shower will provide higher flow rates, and better winter performance when the cold mains is cold. I have a 10.8kw, and can happily use it on medium in the summer. It allows a decent flow of water. Nowhere near a mixer type shower, you would never achieve that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back