shower electics

ajl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the guide suggests cable size for various lenghts of cable run. it does not refer,or i cant see it, to the size of the shower ie 7.5 8.5 9.5 10.5 kw. is this therefore not an issue? :?:

Sponsored Links
ajl said:
the guide suggests cable size for various lenghts of cable run. it does not refer,or i cant see it, to the size of the shower ie 7.5 8.5 9.5 10.5 kw. is this therefore not an issue? :?:

you select the cable taking total power, cable length, installation mehtod (thru insulation, clipped direct etc etc) into consideration. the size of the shower is the most important factor here.

this should also be in electrics outside UK

andrew2022 said:
you select the cable taking total power, cable length, installation mehtod (thru insulation, clipped direct etc etc) into consideration. the size of the shower is the most important factor here.
The "How To" guide assumes they are all 7.2kW...

whos how to? If its this site should Email admin and say...

Sponsored Links
ok i see replies. the shower is stated as 8.5 kw. the run will be 15 mtre
it will be clipped to the cellar wall cieling for 8 mtre, run up a wall ,not plastered in for 4 mtre and the rest behind tiles in the bathroom. i dont know what the plaster is,thermal or not.. will a 36a trip be sufficient, and the french guy here want to fit a 40a 32ma differencial????? what ever that does??? any advise recieved with thanks

ajl said:
will a 36a trip be sufficient,
Not really - if the shower is rated at 8.5kW at 230V, then it will be just slightly over the 36A rating. Not good to run MCBs flat out - go for a 40 or 50A one.

And install 10mm² cable, as insurance against the day you decide to fit a more powerful shower....

and the french guy here want to fit a 40a 32ma differencial????? what ever that does???
Sounds like an RCD. 32mA? or 30mA? Whatever - I have no idea if French regs require one, but even if not they are a Jolly Good Idea. But get him to fit a 50A one as insurance against the day you decide to fit a more powerful shower....

ok thanks 10mm2 it is and 50a .. thats a bugger as i will have to notify EDF .thats french power to upgrade the supply.different monthly basic charge.. more.. thanks for all advise

Yes - I've heard about their bizarre charging policy. I didn't know that you had to pay more just because you'd put in large cables that could support a higher load though.

I guess this is why we have an Electrics Outside the UK forum, so that Anglocentrics don't end up giving dodgy advice.

Sorry. :oops:

yes the box coming into the house has 30a on it? if you need more there is a different tarif, apparently there is nothing else needed. what to do? the idea was to be able to avoid firing up the oil heating for good reasons..! however i am mindful that for the cost of instaling this shower. cable,shower unit, switchgear, holes in walls ect and the hassle. one could probrably buy a fair bit of heating oil..BUT i am doing it anyway...

Just a quick note, in case you are anything like my Dad and have moved to France but buy all your taps, showers, etc in England and bring them over 'cos you haven't learnt the language and therefore find M.Bricolage too daunting a prospect (and if you aren't anything like my Dad then read no further).....

French water pressure is much higher than English. If you stick English appliances on, they will drip. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they will.

i am sure the thing will drip, everything else has, fitted 90 degree valves for safety, just in case of my plumbing, and yes the only things that drip are the bloody olived valves, tighten more and off to brickolage to get new nut (split )... frankly so far french electrics, plumbing, at least in my house leaves plenty to be desired. anyway shower en-route from uk so its going in. we are on well water here so i hope pressure, tho theres plenty. wont be an issue. by the way i have not yet seen electric showers for sale here.??? plety of coplete shower units tho.

ajl said:
by the way i have not yet seen electric showers for sale here.???
Might that be because of the electricity charging structure? Paying for a supply capacity of 50A when you only need that much for 30 minutes a day?

Interestingly, though, the first time I ever encountered electric showers was on a French campsite. They were coin operated, but didn't have a solenoid valve, so you put your money in, and you could have as long a shower as you liked, but only 15 minutes of it was heated...

thats typical french, they figure that that as no one(they can concieve of ) would want a cold shower why pay to install cut off valves.. at this delicate stage i have not even asked EDF the difference in charge 30/50A supply, that would **** on my grand project. as i have been sweating my nuts off fitting 10mm2 cable i am having the bloody shower anyway. if the world oil supply vanishes i will be suitably smug

When it vanishes not if.
Unless you want to take the million year view that it will be renewed after the humans have left the planet.
Dont get too smug, just because France has nuclear power, does not mean no oil is needed, the uranium it uses has to be brought half way round the oweld by ship, and mined by oil burning machines, and I'm not sure how we well will manage without planes and cars.
Better to invest I think in some socks and a solar water heater
regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back