Identifying faulty (leaking) part in combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An engineer wouldn't quote for repairing this slow weep/leak from inside my boiler, they said they were unable to identify the part required. Does anyone have any idea what this part is and what's likely to be involved in having it repaired?
IMG_20191013_152413720[1].jpg
IMG_20191013_152746095[1].jpg

(I am about to download the installer's manual and go through it and possibly contact the manufacturer (Heatline) to find out what the part is called, but I thought it would make sense to ask here first.)

Sponsored Links
Having looked at the manual, I believe the part that is leaking is called the 'Three-Port Valve'. The pictures above show the actuator motor in place and also removed so that the source of the leak can be seen.

Can this fault be repaired (it seems to be leaking from the pin that sticks out), or should the whole thing be replaced? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a Heatline compact s24, thanks.

The diverter repair kit seems like the obvious thing. Any idea why an engineer might not be keen to take the job on? Too small?

AFAIR when these boilers began to have issues you could only buy the complete diverter from Heatline at an extortionate price so he may have thought it was a non starter...or he was planning to come back and suggest a new boiler...or just plain incompetent.

I see. I looked online to see the kits are less than £10. I'll buy it and look for another engineer. The kit looks pretty simple, I guess it would take an engineer less than 10 minutes to fit one?

It's a Heatline compact s24, thanks.

The diverter repair kit seems like the obvious thing. Any idea why an engineer might not be keen to take the job on? Too small?
I very much doubt it's an S24, looks like it's a combi. C24 maybe? And no, draining the boiler and possibly your heating system as well, removing, stripping down, refurbishing, refitting the DV, and refilling it all and testing to check it works won't take "less than 10 minutes". Maybe your engineer didn't want to take the job on because he could tell you were going to have unrealistic expectations and were also likely to expect an unrealistically small invoice once he'd done it?

would not be surprised if the diverter valve actuator is also Knackered now

I very much doubt it's an S24, looks like it's a combi. C24 maybe? And no, draining the boiler and possibly your heating system as well, removing, stripping down, refurbishing, refitting the DV, and refilling it all and testing to check it works won't take "less than 10 minutes". Maybe your engineer didn't want to take the job on because he could tell you were going to have unrealistic expectations and were also likely to expect an unrealistically small invoice once he'd done it?

It is a combi, the label reads 'S 24 Compact'. Yes, I know what you mean with regards unrealistic expectations regarding prices, though not the case in this instance.

The source of the leak should have been identified within a few minutes, the Heatline spare for it is close to £200, but I would expect any half decent engineer to atleast tell you thats whats wrong and give you the option of a repair, even doing the full block is less than an hours job, although if the kit to repair it works then thats great, however as said, it quickly damages the electronic motorised valve heads so if your continuing to use the boiler at the moment be prepaired to fork out for one of them aswell.

Good to know, thanks. I did see the repair kits with the same part number listed for £50 -£70 from some plumbing supplies websites.

I think the most likely explanation is the engineer was just too busy at the time, perhaps he doesn't want to phone the manufacturer /hunt online for parts and have to come back for what I assume is a small job.

Good to know, thanks. I did see the repair kits with the same part number listed for £50 -£70 from some plumbing supplies websites.

I think the most likely explanation is the engineer was just too busy at the time, perhaps he doesn't want to phone the manufacturer /hunt online for parts and have to come back for what I assume is a small job.
Chuck your boiler in the nearest bin.Perhaps he does not fancy touching a cheap and nasty boiler,causing further leaks and problems and then the customer to say "was fine 'til you touched it' he walks away unpaid,you are pizzed off and report him to gas safe....he gets boloked...you have a boiler in bits........just replace it!!!If anywhere near ten years old its on borrowed time anyway.

Chuck your boiler in the nearest bin.Perhaps he does not fancy touching a cheap and nasty boiler,causing further leaks and problems and then the customer to say "was fine 'til you touched it' he walks away unpaid,you are pizzed off and report him to gas safe....he gets boloked...you have a boiler in bits........just replace it!!!If anywhere near ten years old its on borrowed time anyway.

I was wondering if that was the case; that he knows there might be other problems that he won't know about until he starts the repair.

It does seem to make sense to repair it right now though despite its age (and quality? Is this a low quality boiler?) as it just needs one small cheap part, maybe two. I know a new boiler would be slightly more efficient, I'd have to research how much though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back