Identifying mains water supply from other pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an easy way to tell which is the mains pipe feeding the cold water tank other than working back from the tank itself. (which is very difficult in my house!)

I am wanting to install an electric shower on the mains riser, but there are about 6 copper pipes in the area that I want to splice into and don't want to cut the wrong one!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your best bet would be to trace back, may be difficult as you say, but thats how we do it. Not enough to say feel which is coldest as this can often be wrong. Put in the leg work now and save regrets later.

run the hot tap .. it will the fill the domestic tank in the roof there fore the cold main will get colder as u run it .. also usually slightly blacker in colour no idea y . :)

Run hot tap, and stick one end of screwdriver in ear and the other on the pipe till you hear which one is running.

Top Tip;

The sharp end goes on the pipe :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Run the central heating - open the bath hot tap (not the cold) for a few minutes. Eliminate anything that isn't very cold.

Whatever remains will be (1) the cold feed to the cylinder (eliminate by observation), or (2) the cold feed to the heating system (this will be warmer the lower down you feel, and certainly won't be very cold), or (bingo) the rising main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back