IEE 'money-making-machine'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wait for it...

You'll never guess what I've just heard...

At some stage in 2007, the 17th edition will be released.

:eek:

Can wait..........

Apparently it'll ban the use of PVC in favour of a return to VIR, SWA cables need to be buried 12 feet down, B&Q et al can now install your electrical equipment as well as sell you it, Gordon Brown will introduce cable tax & tool box tax (not talks), steps are outlawed and their use will constitute a minimum fine of £25000 AND 10 years inside, Part P will be further amended to ensure nobody fully understands it (apparently there are a handful of people who claim to) and finally the NICEIC will introduce a new 20 minute course to qualify as an electrician. Anybody foolish enough to have put themself through college for the 'old' 3 years will be jailed, with no parole.

Stranger things have happened, but the 17th edition bit is allegedly true.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have it on good authority that it will be covered in a nice plush pink fabric so that it will appeal to the customer. the pages are going to made of rice paper so that we can eat their words, and recycle the old copies by sending to a third world country to alleviate their famine.

Possibly a load of old codswollop.

The 16th Edition does not exist anymore in reality, despite us all calling it that, Officially it is BS7671:2001 Requirements for Electrical Installations, then it has the sub heading IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition.

The subheading is simply a throw back to earlier times. BSi, who now co-own the copyright with the IEE have a long history of simply changing the date of the relevent BS, The current edition which incorporates the 2004 amendment technically makes it BS7671:2004.

I really cannot see the BSi doing such a radical rewrite of the BS so as to justify it as a new edition as oppose to a new amendment..although stranger things do happen.

I suppose we will have to wait and see, but I think it more likely that the new publication will have a new colour cover and probably be simply BS7671:2007...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back