If this year is the end of the Tory government, how will you remember them?

Sponsored Links
What do people think about politicians today compared to the past?

Whatever people may feel about Margaret Thatcher, there is no doubt in my mind she was an extremely powerful leader with principles. And politicians had honour then, if they did wrong they resigned.

What I usually feel about them. Changes that have side effects that are mix of intentional and some not. You might call them New Tory. On the way to that they have attracted various bods that have mixed views on all sorts of things so are finding it harder to reach a consensus. There seems to be a high I want to be PM drive amongst them and there selection method encourages candidates to offer daft ideas that wont work out or rather dated images of the UK that just don't fit in with the modern world.

What are their roots really - in many cases neoliberalism. Also called Reganomics by some., A rather right wing form. Some of the ideas behind it are needed in the modern world.

What some want from the Tory. Sorry folks some factors in that area are not possible. A party may pop up that offers that so get them in power and see what happens. Some parties will say anything to get votes. Gaza is an example. The greens will call for an immediate cease fire not that it will achieve anything. Both of the majors stick to the N Hemisphere plot. Wonder why. Gaza is expected to figure in peoples voting in forthcoming locals.

Sponsored Links

Very often politicians of the past only began a political life after they had a career somewhere else. They had been in industry, business, military, farming etc. Entering politics later in life was seen as a service to the country, giving something back. Too many now are polished career politicians who all go to university to study the same subjects (PPE) then straight into politics - maybe cutting their teeth in local government before getting on the Westminster gravy train. They're all one-sided, bland, inexperinced in real life and understand little about what concerns ordinary people.

In worked in manufacture, my entire working life. One director I worked for made an interesting comment. The only problem with the Tory is their idea of a business. Should add he still voted for them.

jrm sleeping.jpg

Whatever people may feel about Margaret Thatcher, there is no doubt in my mind she was an extremely powerful leader with principles. And politicians had honour then, if they did wrong they resigned.

How very true AND thatcher had big balls too.

It’s a real shame that none of the 650 have any balls these days

Very often politicians of the past only began a political life after they had a career somewhere else. They had been in industry, business, military, farming etc. Entering politics later in life was seen as a service to the country, giving something back. Too many now are polished career politicians who all go to university to study the same subjects (PPE) then straight into politics - maybe cutting their teeth in local government before getting on the Westminster gravy train. They're all one-sided, bland, inexperinced in real life and understand little about what concerns ordinary people.

A good question from Botch and an excellent answer that sums up one of the main differences between past and present.

I find it very interesting how we had these political titans in the 19th century, like Glasdstone, Disraeli and Lord Salisbury. Highly intelligent all rounders. The twentieth century was a mixed bag, which the style of the three mentioned wouldn't have been suited to.

The TV age really changed things, but even in the 1970s you could watch a far more in depth and intelligent discussion than we have been accustomed to over the past 30 years. I saw an interview recently on youtube involving Roy Jenkins and Enoch Powell discussing economic policy and inflation - they were far more knowledgeable than any current politician by a mile. It's quite weird to see the difference compared to what we take for granted.

And yes, they often had backgrounds to them outside politics, although I think a lot of twentieth century ones were sort of limited - often having hefty public sector backgrounds, although there had been war service for some and others who had served in industry or had normal lives. Thatcher had a science background and raised children. Enoch Powell was interesting, despite the lazy way he is remembered now - the youngest professor in the British Empire, served in India, and was fluent in Urdu. I think he was too clever to make it by that stage.

The current crop, from all sides are simply dreadful. It is depressing to see. Hollow men and women, quite a few diversity hires, and they are trained in speaking sound bites. They are like actors pretending to be politicians, which might be true. Perhaps it just reflects the status of our country, but then again, I observe similarly awfuk trends in the other western countries.

There is something odd about how the tories have been selecting candidates. None of them seem to be conservative (small c), more like lib dems, and a curious proportion seem to be homosexuals or deviant.

I admire politicians who point with their thumb atop a slightly clenched fist as opposed to pointing with their index finger.

Was it not Billy Connolly who said something like the very notion of wanting to be a politician should preclude you from ever being one.

I can think of two firmly good policy implementations since 2010:

1. the early step up to the personal tax allowance, which clearly helps those who work at the lower-end of the wage scale.
2. Michael Gove's education reforms, including the 'free schools' legislation.

Unfortunately, number 1 has not since kept with inflation, so has been undone. And one of the very few policy statements made by Kier Starmer is that he will undo number 2.

I have not included the EU Referendum, despite me finding the intention noble (ask the people). I see little evidence that we have left the EU, and wouldn't be surprised to see a push to rejoin in the mid-term.

I cannot think of anything that has been 'conserved' since 2010. For me, that's the saddest part.

In case this sounds harsh or biased in any way, I did try to think of the previous Labour administration, and what it achieved between 1997 and 2010. There's the minimum wage, which many are keen on (I'm not entirely sure). Brown kept us out of the Euro, but that was only to annoy Blair - not for any sound reasons. I did think of something else, but it escapes me now.

Another difference I can think of regarding our political class, comparing past and present, is that there is a lot less masculinity.

I'm not suggesting that politicians ought to be body building alphas, but the mental attitude seems to be much more emotionally driven and ideologically orientated, versus a more logical and reality orientated approach. It seems to be a cultural pattern though, and perhaps the political class are a product of that, whilst also then further contributing to it?

I wonder if it is one of the reasons people go mental about Putin, or even Trump. There is that direct, assertive and dominant attitude. Our culture has forgotten what men are just as much as it has women.

Just look at the state of the House of Commons. All the absolutely useless women selected through quotas, the poncy "men" everywhere. Can you imagine how utterly useless the likes of Sunak, Starmer, Milliband and numerous of the other pudgy weaklings would be if you needed a hand taking a load of hard-core and junk to the tip? The attitudes and mentality are not manly at all.

There is a blatant hatred of men, especially straight white men, and the sort who get things done, i.e. those who are successful. It is truly ironic that somebody like Noseall is such a Labour Party arse licker. I'm assuming he is an older, straight white man who is a builder. Part of the back bone of our civilization - make no mistake, the Labour Party here and Democrats in the US are not merely indifferent to his type, but positively despise them. He was even prattling on recently about "stale, old white men" for some reason, sounding like a purple haired female with a degree in Gender Studies. Is it based on a total break with the reality of things or some deep rooted self loathing? I don't know. But our culture certainly promotes this.

Take a look around you. Note the messaging from your TV and social media feed. Think about all the things that are encouraged and portrayed in a positive light. Consider what sort of people are held to a lower and easier standard and for whom excuses are always made, and then compare to the standard others are held to and who seems to be disparaged.

We live in a culture that now despises strength, success and winning. Humility is a fine thing but we've gone way off deep end here. Our political class is very effeminate - in history, we would already have been invaded and destroyed by now with "leaders" like these. Consider how it promotes egalitarianism - think of how women, in their beautiful and mothering way, want everybody to have enough. How we must allow every alleged sob story into the country and take no notice of whether they might be dangerous nutters or grifters.

There is a total lack of discipline, a break down in order, and the idea that people take responsibility seems a foreign cocept. Losers and victims are promoted at every turn. We have government driven by sob stories and wanting to seem "nice". To the point where it is now considered virtuous to be a victim on some level.

This is absolutely disastrous and it has become especially noticeable and damaging over the past ten years. I ask you to consider the image below. It shows a total idiot simpering to a plonker in a fez. That person shouldn't have been anywhere near Parliament... that person was the Prime Minister.

C8vZDbgWsAA8z7I.jpg

I'll leave you with this...

EzcUsB_UYAAGF3v.jpg

Last edited:
There's a hell of a lot of rubbish in all that.

But 1 simple note, comparing usa Democrats to UK Labour. Not at all the same thing.

The requirement for running a country, and a business, is brains not muscle. Brains can be found in men or women, of any background.

The rest of your diarrhea isn't worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
Back